Monday, June 28, 2010

When Did That Happen??

"We're adults....when did this happen? And how do we make it stop?" ~Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy

College Roomie and I were talking on the phone last week about boys, which I will admit, is a frequent topic of conversation. I had this huge realization during the conversation, so I thought I'd share.

Early on in the conversation she asked if I would be willing to date a 40 year old. Not that she had one in mind, but just in general. I said that yes, I would, if he was the right 40 year old I didn't see that being much of a problem, and told her about a 40 year old friend I have who seems much closer to my own age. Later, she mentioned that she knew a nice guy, but that he was only 18. I laughed and said, "I'd be much more likely to date a 40 year old than an 18 year old."

And then it was like a lightbulb went off.... "Wait a minute," I said, "When in the world did that happen??"

Apparently I became a grown up! At some point in the last 8 years, that opinion changed without me even realizing it. I am sure when I was 18 this was not the case at all. Isn't it crazy that we grow up and make these sort of subconscious decisions without even knowing? I didn't sit down one day and say to myself, "Okay Tiffany, it's time to be an adult now." It seems like it just sort of happened somewhere in the midst of the every day-ness of life.

I certainly think this is a good thing, and I am glad to realize that I'm growing up. I was less glad to notice the little wrinkles forming around my eyes. That, however, is another blog for another day!

No comments: