"I'll never know how much it cost, to see my sins upon the cross." ~Chris Tomlin
Let's start off today with a song. (The version performed by the one and only Johnny Cash, I mean if Johnny sang it, there's not other option people!)
The song asks, "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" The honest answer to that question--for everyone--is yes. It was because of us, for us, that the world turned upon Jesus, that beating occurred, that the crown of thorns was placed, that the nails were driven, that the skin was pierced. We were there. And today, we remember that. We remember the ultimate gift of sacrifice. We remember Him.
I know that for a lot of us, it's easy to lose focus of what today is really about. It can become a day of running errands to get out of town for Easter, a day of class parties, a day of stocking up on Easter candy......the list could go on forever. But today, I urge you to stop, to be still, and to realize what Good Friday is all about. It's not about roadtrips or Cadberry eggs. It's about God's own Son, and a hill called Golgotha, and the ultimate sacrifice--the ultimate gift--for you and for me.
A line from a book that I'm currently reading, Death on a Friday Afternoon struck me. It said, "Good Friday is not just one day of the year. It is a day relived in every day of the world, and of our lives in the world."
May we remember, every day. Have a blessed Good Friday and a Happy Easter!
6 comments:
Timely post. That's why I love the Good Friday church service. Because the reading of the Passion needs the whole congregation to be involved, and because the Eucharist is prominently not consecrated, you can't leave the service having just "gone through the motions" the way (let's face it) we all do at Mass sometimes. You can't leave without knowing indelibly (so to speak) why this day is different from all the rest.
Great blog today! Thank you for reminding me what today was about. With work today I woke up this morning and went through all the motions an thoughts of just another normal day. Thank you Jesus for sacrificing for all of us to have the opportunity to live an eternal life with you forever more!
~LOKG
oh my gosh, that song. so haunting and beautiful and his VOICE. man alive. thank you for sharing.
beautiful post today. it's so true. good friday is every day. but thankfully, so is easter. there is always hope. always forgiveness. always resurrection.
happy easter to you and your family. xo
Great post - we all need a reminder every now and then :)
Tiff, this is beautiful. "It's about God's own Son, and a hill called Golgotha, and the ultimate sacrifice--the ultimate gift--for you and for me."
Thank you so much.
Great post. I remember singing that "Were You There?" song back in elementary school. Happy Easter!
Post a Comment