Thursday, December 13, 2012

Friday Book Club: November Reads

Today I've got two great books to share with you guys!  Linking up with Friday Book Club.

The Journey to Peace by Joseph Cardinal Bernardin

My sweet friend who we'll call Super Mom gave me this book for my birthday.  She proclaimed it one of her favorites, so I knew that it had to be great.  It's a collection of homilies given by Joseph Cardinal Bernardin on various topics related to the stations of the cross.  I read one chapter a day and thought that the book was amazing.  As I always do, I wanted to share a few of my favorite quotes.

"Cardinal Bernardin was not afraid to live, and therefore he did not fear death."

"For Jesus' followers, love--by God's standards--is measured not by the peace and happiness it brings to theone who loves; rather, by the peace and happiness it brings to the one who is loved."

"Is our faith strong enough to act out and live on?"

"There are times when, like simon of Cyrenee, I do not want to work in your vineyard.  When I just want to rest a while rather than help a neighbor with a burden that is not exactly mine.  Help me to say yes to  your call so that I can help those I encounter on my journey."

"We minister to others by gestures as simple as listening and as intimate as picking them up when they fall."

"We build God's kingdom as we strive to put the gospel message into practice in our every day lives."

"In the final analysis, love is stronger than death.  Faith is stronger than hatred.  Comprassion will outlast cruelty." 
 
Notre Dame Inspriations by Hannah Storm

I sort of have three categories of collectables I keep from my various travels. One of those is books (the other two are Christmas tree ornaments and cups, FYI) so while we were at Notre Dame I knew I wanted to get a book for my collection at the bookstore. I settled upon Notre Dame Inspirations by Hannah Storm. First off, I love Hannah Storm from her work on NBC Sports and the Olympics. Second off, It has a great picture of the golden dome on the front. Third, it's full of stories from famous alumni. So in my stack of stuff to purchase it went.

I thought this book was great. It's a collection of memories and stories from all sorts of alumni---from priests to rabbis to football players to authors doctors to motivational speakers---you name it. What did they all have in common? A sincere love and appreciation for Notre Dame. It was a great read. 

"Somewhere along the way at Notre Dame was understanding the fact that your Christian faith obliges you not to just kneel down and pray, but to stand up and do." -Phil Donahue

(Rabbi Albert Poltkin's father convincing him to go to Notre Dame): "What do you mean it's too Catholic? The Lady on top of that dome is Jewish. Don't foret it, because that's our claim to glory. Catholics and Jews are the two closest religions. We are spiritual brothers."

"When I would go to bed at night, I would read my Hebrew prayers and Bob (his roomate) would go with his rosary. I thought, boy, this is a combination that's one of a kind." -Rabbi Albert Poltkin

"Talent is a trust which no man has the right to ignore." -Johnny Lujack

"I always made it a point, right after our evening meal, to go down to the Grotto and thank the Good Lord and our marvelous Mary down there for me going to Notre Dame." -Johnny Lujack

"Whenever I go to Notre Dame, it gives me a warm feeling of faith in humankind. Everything that's good and decent and fair is right there on that campus--I can feel it in the air." -Regis Philbin

"Always be grateful for the opporutnity to serve." -Fr. Jenkins

"Al Sondej was a witness to me and my classmates about the poor, about the Sermon on the Mount. He worked in the dining hall, making his own meal from the leftovers. Every day, he stood outside the dining hall at mealtime collecgint change from students to help feed the world's hungry. He never took on a judgmental air or an air of moral superiority. He was always smiling and thankful for our quarters. Seeing him every day taught me what it means to have a vocation and to offer witness simply and quietly." -Fr. Jenkins

"I hate losing more than I like to win." -Joe Montana

"Listen, we've got a University named after a woman, who also happens to be the Mother of God, so I find it a bit inconceviable that at Her university she looks down and all she sees are men." - Fr. Hesburgh (on opening Notre Dame to women)

"My advice is that life is full of problems, and you need to help." -Fr. Hesburgh

"The death of a dream brings into question yoru own thoughts about reality, about what you can really do. And it's not always what you dreamed you could do. It's different." - Nicholas Sparks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love love love that "love is stronger than death, faith is stronger than hatred, compassion will outlast cruelty" quote. Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

-College Roomie