Yesterday I was reading through some old blogs written by Courtney at Vintch. She's one of my absolute favorite bloggers and I swear she's the best writer on the internet.
Anyway, I stumbled across this old blog post titled Glory Days.
"Maybe these are my glory days, and I'm not even realizing it. Because
they don't involve my own home. They don't
involve babies. They don't
involve the perfect career. They don't
involve a master's degree {yet}. They don't involve a cure for my
stutter.
But that's okay.
Because these are my glory days and I refuse to let another precious one slip by without grasping it. Holding onto it and relishing it. One day these days will only be a memory."
What powerful words. It's so easy to get caught up in the looking forward. In the waiting game. In the comparisons to other people's lives. And when we do that, we forget to live our now...our glory days.
We spend so much time waiting for our lives to start....I mean really start. We wait until we graduate. Until we have a job. Until we have a better job. Until we own a house. Until we find a boyfriend. Until we live in the same area code with said boyfriend (oh wait...that's just me.) Until we have a ring on our finger. Until we wear a white dress and dance under the stars. Until we have sleepless nights and a crying little one. Until the crying little one is in school.....
And if we're not careful, we'll wake up one day and realize that we've been so busy waiting for life to start, that we've missed it. That we've missed the glory days because they were dressed up like regular ones and we were too dumb to notice.
We'll miss sunsets and birthday cards and smiles from strangers. We'll miss the chance to travel and the chance to sleep in and the chance to try something new. We'll overlook kind words and laughing until our stomachs hurt and the goodness of fresh cookies out of the oven.
I think that we would see these everyday moments as the glory days if we would just stop, quit looking forward, and appreciate the now.
3 comments:
I love the excerpt from her blog. Definitely powerful words.
I think I'm actually pretty good at just enjoying the now - whatever that may be. I see so many people get completely caught up in the future or the past and what should be or what will be and it just seems exhausting!
-College Roomie
I feel like I'm fairly good at enjoying the now but I know I could definitely improve in certain areas of this!
How happy we would be if we approached each new stage as glory days? What if I was content in the now, willing to work and change some rough situations, etc but willing to celebrate the good.
I wanted to be married so badly, but now I miss living with girls and having so many girls nights. I am sure when we have kids or more money or better jobs, I will miss the newlywed, new to town, poor phase. When my kids act up as toddlers, I will long for that to be over, but then I will miss their sticky hands and silly behavior!
So motivated by this post...and grateful that not just one phase of life has to be my glory days.
Post a Comment