Thursday, April 17, 2014

Ode to HEB (and a recipe)

There are a few things I don't really like about living here.  Mostly the whole 9 hours from The Boy from Texas thing.  And lack of green chile.  And humidity.  There are a few things I really like.  My job.  My house.  My roommate.  The plants in my hard that are not trying to freaking die on me.

But I've got to admit that my favorite thing about this place.....a grocery store.  Enter HEB.

Y'all.  I'm serious here.  It's the mecca of all good things about a grocery store.  Wide aisles.  Clean.  Fresh produce.  Good deli.  Free samples.  A homemade tortilla station (which also always has free samples).  Lots of checkers.  I've never liked grocery shopping, but HEB has changed all of that.  I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever leave and have to go back to regular grocery stores!

So there I was last night munching on my tortilla sample while perusing around the store, when the sample guy had a jalapeno popper dip to try.  I like jalapeno poppers, so of course I said yes.  Y'all.  Holy moly.  I bought the ingredients right away and whipped up half a batch last night.  Here's the recipe.


Jalapeno Popper Dip
Prep Time:  5 minutes
Cook Time:  20 minutes
Serves:  A crowd

2 pkg softened cream cheese
3 oz. real bacon bits
1/2 C Roberts Reserve Jalapeno Pepper Dip (not really sure what to do if your store doesn't have this...)
1/4 C mayo
3 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C French fried onions

1.  Preheat oven to 375.
2.  Mix cream cheese, bacon, jalapeno dip, mayo, and cheese together.
3.  Spread the mixture into a casserole dish.
4.  Top with the French fried onions, cover with foil, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
5.  Serve with chips and crackers.

5 comments:

Britt Fisk said...

That looks so, so delicious!! I need to find that dip!

Anonymous said...

That sounds tasty.... Perhaps I'll try to whip some up for family Easter this weekend.

-College Roomie

Codi said...

HEB is AMAZING! I love shopping there and even at peak times they manage to make it a pleasant experience. Huge bonus to my husband living in Odessa

Brianne said...

OMG I love jalapeno poppers. I just pinned the recipe. I'm a Kroger girl but only by a split second decision. In MN we don't have either & I live the exact same distance from both now so I just picked one on a whim & it stuck.

Linznoel said...

So jealous! I miss HEB!!!! They have the most awesome jelly and ranch dressing, I'm a real condiment gal :) This dip looks amaze!