Tuesday, April 19, 2016

You Can't Plan a Miracle

Well, we've got some big news.


Once everyone picks their jaws up off the floor, we hope you will share in our excitement over this blessing that God has given us.  We know that the timing is not conventional.  I know we were supposed to get married at 23, have 2.5 kids approximately 2.5 years apart, and drive a mini van.  But you know, we've not really done things in the conventional timing.

I was a week shy of 31 when we got married.  We got pregnant with BB right away.  Baby #2 will arrive 14 months after BB.  And I drive a pick up.  So much for conventional.  But God hasn't led us astray so far.  Sure, there have been hard things and hard times and I'm under no dissolution that two babies under 2 are going to be a walk in the park.

But the very day that I had the positive pregnancy test and stood in the kitchen with tears in my eyes, I got a major reality check.  One of my friends suffered a miscarriage.  Another friend learned that their attempt at in vitro failed.  What was I doing crying over a positive pregnancy test when there are so many others desperately wanting to see that blue line?  So I decided then that I would feel only joy for this child that we have been given.

But then, there would be the comments.  People say things that are just hurtful--particularly to someone with pregnancy hormones all over the place. As I struggled to answer questions like "don't you know how this happens?" and "are you crazy?" and "you couldn't have been planning this?," my friend Wade offered the perfect response.

You can't plan a miracle.

Thanks be to God for that.



7 comments:

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

Perfect response. :)

Unknown said...

Totally a miracle. One that will add joy to your already amazing family. God knows your family just want complete yet (and he might still have other plans too!). Very happy for you.

Unknown said...

Totally a miracle. One that will add joy to your already amazing family. God knows your family just want complete yet (and he might still have other plans too!). Very happy for you.

Unknown said...

I love your article. I feel ya. My kids are 16 month and 17 month part. So I had 3 kids under 3 for 3 months. Yes, it is hard but it's thankful. I love to watch them play together and care each other.
Congratulations again, Tiff.

Brianne said...

Congratulations! I love the "you can't plan for a miracle" I am so happy for your growing family!

shaeken said...

So true - you can't plan a miracle! Congratulations!!

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations! I love your thoughts: both your honesty about your initial emotions and the way that you have seen God's hand in this. It challenges me to seek God's hand in aspects of my own life. And what an adventure God has drafted for you!