Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Call

“If the only prayer you said was thank you, that would be enough.”   ~Meister Eckhart

Unfortunately, we hear about shootings all the time.  Columbine.  Virginia Tech.  Aurora.  The Sikh Temple in Minnesota.  And while my heart always goes out to the victims and their families, it's not something that directly affects me.  So I usually say a quick prayer, make some comment about how the world is going crazy, and go on about my day.

And then yesterday I saw on the internet that there had been a shooting at Texas A&M.  For those of you who don't know, BFF goes to school there.  He, knowing that I'm on the internet all day and would freak out, called me immediately with some wise crack comment about living in a war zone.  So for about .5 seconds I was worried, but then knew that BFF was fine and went on with my day.

But later last night, I got to thinking that there were other people yesterday for whom that call never came.  Although BFF called right away, some people's phones didn't ring.  And they never will again.  The shooting victims were not, praise God, my best friend, but they were someone's best friend, or child, or sibling, or parent.

My heart breaks for those people who did not get the call that I did yesterday.  Please keep them in your prayers.

5 comments:

Stefanie Brown said...

So thankful your friend was safe!! I live in North Texas and we've been reeling from the shooting incidents we've experience here over the last few years. God is faithful!!

Jodie said...

So glad to he hear he is okay!!!! So scary!

Rozann said...

Such a good reminder to pray. Thank you, Tiffany. Thanks for making it personal.

Megan G. said...

So glad to hear that your BFF is okay! Jeez, these shootings are getting so scary. Keeping everyone involved in the past couple of months in my prayers. <3

Erin James said...

Wow, so thankful your BFF is okay. Thank you for sharing your heart and wisdom in this post - so true.