A couple of weeks ago, The Boy from Texas selected a recipe from "Bring 'em On Home: A collection of recipes from famous rodeo cowboys and their families," which we got from Cousin Whitney as a wedding gift. He went with a recipe from Cesar de la Cruz for apple dumplings.
The Boy from Texas Rating: 4
The Boy from Texas Comments: "These are real buttery. You should use less butter next time." This started a minor fight where I told him I was trying really hard and comments like that made me feel like a bad wife and he needed to be more sensitive to my feelings and they tasted fine to me. I discovered later, that when I decided to half the recipe, I forgot to half the butter. Man, I hate when he's right.
Apple Dumplings
2 Granny Smith Apples
2 cans crescent rolls
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brown sugar
Cinnamon
1 can Mountain Dew
Peel and core apples. Then cut each one into 8 slices. Roll each apple slice in crescent roll. Place in 9x13 a greased pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. {I think the book left out needing sugar....so I added in about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and called it good.} Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon to taste and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. {We took them out about 5 minutes early because they were about to burn.} Serve with ice cream and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.
2 comments:
These look delicious and I do the same thing with recipes especially when I am doubling them I forget to double something:)
mmm, looks so tasty! I love apple pie type desserts.
Post a Comment