Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Newlywed in the Kitchen #24: Brisket Dinner

Brisket is a staple food for anyone who grew up on a ranch or lives in Texas.  As I am both, I felt like it was time to attempt my very first brisket.  And, well, I nailed it.  It was so tender it fell apart, no need for a knife.

I am, however, hesitant to share this recipe (or even count it as a recipe) because as you are about to see, it's so easy.  To make up for that, I'm going to tell you how I cooked the entire dinner in hopes that makes things tad more impressive.

The Boy from Texas Ranking (brisket only):  5/5

The Boy from Texas Comments:  We should have this more often.  Throw this in with some eggs and wrap it in a tortilla and we'll be talkin' for breakfast.


Brisket
Beef brisket
Claude's brisket sauce (buy it in the BBQ aisle)
Roaster pan

Thaw brisket.  Trim fat.  Put brisket in roaster pan.  Pour Claude's brisket sauce over brisket.  (I don't know exactly how much.....be generous.)  Place in fridge overnight to marinade.  Cook in oven on 300 degrees for 6 (or more) hours.

Mashed Potatoes

Russett potatoes (I usually do about 1 potato for each person)
Milk
Butter
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Sour cream (optional)
Grated cheese (optional)

Peel potatoes and boil until soft.  Drain and return to pan.  Add milk and butter---you just sort of have to eye ball this, but remember, you can always add more, you can't take it out.  Salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Beat with mixer for 1-2 minutes until creamy and smooth.  Serve with your favorite toppings (I like just a bit of sour cream myself, but you can add in anything---cheese, bacon bits, chives, whatever).

Corn on the Cob

Ears of corn--1 per person. (My mother in law brought us fresh sweet corn she picked from the field that morning....I'd highly recommend that)
Water
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Shuck corn.  Place in boiling water and boil until kernels are soft (doesn't take long, less than 5 minutes).  Serve with butter, salt and pepper.

1 comment:

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

Haha! Love that TBFT turned it into burrito potential with his quote! The potatoes look sooooooo good. And corn straight from the field? That's awesome!