Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Seeing Ourselves Clearly

"And why is it that we can see our friends perfectly, but when it comes to ourselves, no matter how hard we look, do we ever see ourselves clearly?" ~Carrie Bradshaw


What a great quote. I have heard it before, but recently I thought of it again. One of my friends, who shall remain nameless in the blog, called me and during our conversation I was reminded that we really don't see ourselves the way other people see us. She was talking about herself, and it was completely different from the person I see! This was completely ridiculous because she's so fantastic---she's beautiful and smart and funny and someone should be telling her these things every single day!

When we see ourselves, we see the bad things---the extra 5 pounds (or more for some of us!), the blemishes, the designer jeans we don't have, the failures or the pain or whatever issues we're dealing with. When our friends, at least our true friends, look at us, they don't see any of those things. They see people who they care about---people who are beautiful, despite any of the things mentioned above. People who are smart and funny and who they love unconditionally. Our friends see the good things we do, the kind hearts we have.

I really hope you have people in your life who see you this way....and who tell you about it. Because you know what? If you are ANY of my friends, or anything like them, you are great and deserve to be told that by someone all the time.

So think about the people in your life. Do any of them need to be told today that they are beautiful or important or whatever else? Think about who probably doesn't hear that enough. Maybe some of them have someone to tell them these things every day (darn happy married people!) ;) But probably, some don't. Send them a card. Give them a hug. Write a text message. You will make their day and maybe you can help them see themselves the way you see them.

And nameless friend, you are a ROCKSTAR and anyone who is too stupid to see that is someone who doesn't deserve to be in your life! :) I heart you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is definatly my favorite blog! You are the rockstar!

PS. You are a beutiful person with an amazing personality and am so blessed to be your friend! :)

~Sara

Anonymous said...

I heart you too, sweetie pie! Connie J

Stefanie said...

Wow! Tiff!! I love this blog!! Very true points! Just remember to look at yourself as you look at your friends too sis! I totally agree you are THE ROCKSTAR!!!

crystal.cattle said...

Great blog! And you are a wonderfully person too, and smart - I keep on forgetting to tell you that I love the new blog name! How clever.

www.cdycattle.blogspot.com