Thursday, July 19, 2012

As We Forgive...

"In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you."  ~Mother Teresa

One of my favorite churches is the St. Francis Cathedral in Santa Fe.  It's absolutely beautiful and peaceful and awesome.  So every time I'm in Santa Fe and can spare a few minutes (and think I can survive dealing with trying to park!), I head over to the Cathedral. 
Photo via

My life is pretty crazy, non-stop, going going going, so I intentionally try and fit in some quiet "God time" whenever I can.  God speaks to us in the quiet. In prayers that we have heard, and prayed, hundreds of times. In pews in Cathedrals that we have seen over and over. Whenever we are quiet and still and open our hearts. And for that, I am grateful.

Yesterday, I was knelt down taking it all in praying the Lord's Prayer.  Something that I've prayed, I don't know, probably a million times in my life.  And I was going along as usual....."Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who have trespassed against us, and...."  I stopped and thought, wait a minute...what did I just pray?

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who have trespassed against us?  As in, forgive me as well as I forgive them?  Well, I thought (pardon the word choice), "Crap!"

Here I am praying that God will forgive me in the same way that I forgive other people, and if I'm being honest, I'm not so good at forgiving.  In fact, I'm bad at it.  I'm a total grudge holder.  I mean there are people to this day that I still don't care for because they were mean to my friend or said something bad about a family member years ago.  Do I really live my life and offer forgiveness in the manner in which I want God to do the same for me?

Of course, God doesn't treat us the way that we treat others.  He offers us the gift of forgiveness, which (thank goodness!) is not contingent on our taking certain actions.  But he calls us to show others the forgiveness that he shows us.  And every time we pray that prayer and then fail to act out our request, we're missing the point.

*Linking up with Beauty for Ashes.

9 comments:

K said...

I can hold grudges, too, and I've gone through the same thought process as you. But I have to keep reminding myself that the only way to move on, for my own well being, is to let go of that hurt and anger. That's not to say that I forget. And it's never easy.

Lyndse said...

Well said. I've had my moment this week as well...my stubbornness takes over. However, God forgives us...we too, should forgive others. Beautiful post today.

Suze said...

Wise thoughts. I've often thought about that line myself.

I love that Mother Teresa quote!

And the church is gorgeous. What a beautiful place.

Rozann said...

As always, this is just beautiful!! Have I ever talked to you about Immaculee Illibagiza? This exact line is how she forgave the men in the Rwandan genocide that killed her family. So so powerful. And I can't even forgive the dude who flipped me off on the interstate.

Well done, Tiff.

Nicole said...

Thank you for this :)

Sometimes God knows we need a little kick in the pants, and I think you just gave me mine :)

Allison said...

Forgiveness is so hard especially when you have scars from the damage-but God does call us to forgive over and over again. Making quiet time is so important-sounds like you have an awesome spot for it-beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog-look forward to following-)

Megan G. said...

I am a terrible grudge holder, and I know that it's hurt some of my relationships. Even though forgiveness is hard, I think God keeps reminding us daily that we can always forgive.

Such a beautiful church. <3

Kelly said...

Crap is right! Haha! Seriously, how many times have we said that prayer and not stopped to really absorb what it means? Thank you for this gentle reminder today. You are a blessing! Thanks so much for linking up @ Into the Word Wednesday!

Marie said...

forgiveness is so powerful!

more freeing than we can ever describe.

@spreadingJOY