Monday, April 15, 2013

Leaving Town

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.” ~ Eric Roth

Today, I have all of my worldly possessions are loaded in a truck and headed for the Lone Star State.  It's crazy to think that I lived in Albuquerque for almost 7 years.  When I came here I was terrified.  As I leave today, I am thankful.  Because the girl who arrived here seven years ago is not the same girl who leaves here today.  Not even close.

I learned to drive in traffic and to walk in high heels.  I proved to myself that I was not going to flunk out of law school and that I could run a half marathon.  I booked my first trip out of the U.S., and then my second, third and fourth.  I survived a broken heart, got my first "real" paycheck, and reconnected with two of my best friends.  I learned how to live alone and passed a bar exam and watched a sky full of balloons each fall.  I saw 7 years worth of State Fair sheep shows, watched Logan win two state basketball championships, and mourned the loss of  several great friends and one of my favorite people in the world.  I made wonderful new friends, had amazing matchmaking success with McCain and College Roomie, bought my first home, and started this very blog.

I think that all we can ask for when we close a chapter in our lives is that are able to look back and realize that we have grown.  That we have learned more about ourselves.  That we have grown braver and stronger and more confident.  Hopefully, that we have become a better person.

Photo via College Roomie
I can honestly say that the last 7 years have allowed me to do those things.  So to Albuquerque, and to all of the people who had a part in this chapter of my life, thank you.

8 comments:

Sally said...

Sounds like you have made the last seven years wonderful! Good luck on this next journey.

Anonymous said...

So excited for you! After today you will be an official lone star state girl :) Be safe traveling this week.

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

Why are all my family becoming Texans?

Veronica Lee Burns said...

Wow you've done so much in 7 years! Good luck on this new adventure! Hope my home state welcomes you! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you gave me credit for the photo. You were going to be in big trouble if you didn't. :)

Yay!!! Yay for all of the wonderful (and not so wonderful) things that happened while you were in Albuquerque. They helped shape you into the absolutely fantastic person you are today. And yay for all of the wonderful things that will happen during this next chapter!

You got this.

-College Roomie

Nicole said...

Such great memories to reflect back on! So excited for you to start the next one! It's gonna have to be a doozy to top Albuquerque!

Brianne said...

Advice from someone who moved to Texas from elsewhere: that whole "Drive Friendly The Texas Way" is a complete joke ha. They are the worst drivers I've ever seen in my life.

Erin James said...

blessings to you on this next season friend! :)

XO
erin

sweetnessitself.blogspot.com