Monday, March 10, 2014

Just Because It's Not Happening Here...

"The most profound statement yet made about Auschwitz was not a statement at all, but a response.  The query: 'At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?'  And the answer: 'Where was man?'” ~Sophie's Choice

I must admit that my initial reaction to any sort of foreign controversy is that we should stay out of it.  That it's not our business, that our soldiers should not be put in harms way when it is not necessary to protect our country.

But then, I went to Poland.  I walked on the ground where bodies lay in piles.  Through buildings where people were imprisoned, beaten and starved.  Into a gas chamber where thousands were murdered.  Seeing Auschwitz in person changed my life.  My perception is not--cannot--be the same after that experience.






And while I am certainly not saying that I believe that the US should rush into the middle of the ongoing foreign conflicts in places like Syria or Ukraine, I am saying that we must be aware of what is happening there.  Innocent people's lives are being ruined--and worse, taken--for no reason.  We cannot pretend that they do not exist.  We cannot ignore the horrors that are occurring.  We cannot turn a blind eye.

Because if we do, the nightmares of Auschwitz may become a reality yet again.  So while I am not sure what the right thing for our military to do is, I am certain that there is one thing we can all do.  Pray.

Pray for peace.

No comments: