Today I'm linking up with Ladie Okie for the monthly runner's link up.
When I saw that the theme for this month was "A Running Picture," I knew right away what photo I would be selecting. There was really only one option.
Bay to Breakers 2010. A day that will live in infamy.
Allow me to set the stage. College Roomie and I wake up crazy early and ride the bus downtown. You then stand in line with tens of thousands of people who are mostly dressed in crazy costumes and randomly throwing tortillas in the air. Then when the gun goes off, you begin the 7.5 mile run from downtown San Francisco (the bay) to the ocean (the breakers). Along the way there is a literal party in the streets. People cheering and drinking at 7 am. Folks hosting house parties and waiving from their balconies. Many people doing multiple things that would be illegal on a normal Sunday morning. But anything goes for Bay to Breakers.
Including nudity.
We were maybe a half mile into the race when it happened. We saw our first naked person. Old, hairy, yucky, naked person. Who was ironically wearing a hat. I screamed to College Roomie, "OMG, there's a naked person up ahead!" She said, "Go, go get a picture, I will catch up." At this point, I begin sprinting all out to get up close enough (but not too close because ewwww) to snap a photo. And so I did. I ran as fast as my little legs would carry me.
The photo itself is not blog appropriate. But here is our reaction afterwards.
The best part of this whole scenario is that 7 miles later at the finish line, we had seen so many yucky naked people, that it just wasn't that exciting any more. Turns out we didn't have to sprint off to catch that first guy because there would be many more just like him. Old, hairy, yucky, naked people. Fun fact for you: It's never the guys you want to see naked that are running naked.
And so there you have it. A race picture and a story. And a recommendation that if you want to run what is absolutely, hands down, the most fun run of your life, sign up for Bay to Breakers 2015. You won't regret it. (To read my full blog on the event, click here.)
7 comments:
Hahaha, oh if only the picture was blog appropriate ;) But the run itself sounds awesome, to run to the bay--how cool!!
Hahaha oh my, I really hope that I don't ever see that!! I can quite imagine that the "is he/isn't he/OMG he is!!!" feeling helped quite a few miles go by without you feeling them!
I have a friend that did bay to breakers this year and had such a fun time! Maybe I'll sign up for next year! :)
And running naked just sounds... uncomfortable. I would think you would need some... support? IDK. hahaha
What's up with people running naked in San Fran? I saw someone post an IG pic of a man in a thong ... ew! I would have laughed too hard to be able to run that race! Glad you had fun and thanks for linking up with us.
Best race ever. Seriously. That was so much fun. Even if the naked people (after that first initial shock) were kind of a yawn. :)
-College Roomie
Hahaha I love the story! The picture is great too. I appreciate you not sharing the ugly, hairy, naked man.
So, is it bad I kind of want to see that picture now? ;) Don't answer that.
Um, what the heck? Weirdest race ever, but kind of an awesome story. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment