Thursday, January 21, 2016

Newlywed in the Kitchen {2016} Recipe #1: PW's Potato Skins

For Christmas, I completed my collection of all The Pioneer Woman's cookbooks.  I think she's fantastic.  Everything I've ever tried has been amazing.

So, one Sunday while we were hanging out watching football, I decided that trying her Potato Skin recipe was just the way to start off Newlywed in the Kitchen for 2016.

The recipe was easy and the potato skins were quite tasty and easy to make!  I'd definitely recommend them.

The Boy from Texas Rating:  2  (He's in a bad mood.)
My Rating:  4


8 Russet potatoes
4T canola oil (I used olive oil)
2T butter
Salt to taste
1.5C grated Cheddar cheese
8 slices pepperd bacon, fried, chopped (I totally cheated here and bought the pre-cooked bacon bits--Oscar Meyer brand--and it worked fine.)
2 sliced green onions (I left this out)
.5C sour cream

Preheat oven to 400.

Wash potatoes and pat dry.  Use your hands to run oil over potatoes.  Place on baking sheet and cook until skin is crisp and potatoes are soft, about 40 minutes.  Let cool until you can handle.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the innards, leaving just a bit of potato in the skins.  Melt butter and 2T oil and brush the inside of potatoes.  Flip over and brush back side of potatoes as well.  Sprinkle with salt.

Place in oven fact down and cook about 8 minutes until crisp. Flip potatoes over and continue to bake until the potato edges turn golden brown (about another 10 minutes).

Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and bacon.  Pop back in oven for long enough to melt the cheese. (I broiled as well to make the cheese a bit crispy.)

Top with green onions and sour cream.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Ha... love the disclaimer on TBFT's ranking!