Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Politics Aside

"In the fleeting time we have on this earth, what matters is not wealth or status or power or fame, but rather how well we have loved and what small part we have played in making the lives of other people better." ~President Obama, Eulogy in Tucson

I haven't blogged about the tragedy that occurred in Arizona a couple of weeks ago. I didn't feel like I had words or thoughts that were worth sharing. Until I watched the memorial service for the dead last week. Now, I am not a political person. In fact, I dislike politics. I never vote party line and I don't honestly know if any of the politicians out there today have views that are similar to my own. But I ask that you put politics aside today and watch (or you can read the transcript of) the eulogy that President Obama gave at the memorial service. (It's a three part video, so stick with it at the first commercial).

He mourned the fallen, thanked the heros, and prayed for those fighting to survive. He quoted scripture, and asked for prayers. He reminded us that the dead were part of our family, our American family, and that although we may not have known them personally, we see ourselves in them all. It was faithful, and moving, and inspirational. And in times like this, politics aside, I think that is what our country needs.

No comments: