So as you guys might remember, I'm currently in the middle of my Happiness Project! Even though I've already gotten started (read about my start here), I joined a blog book club that will be going through the book together!
When I went back and re-read the introduction, I decided that in my hurry to get my project started and to get my life organized/energized that first month, that I didn't take much time to think about some of the ideas that the author discussed in the book.
One of these points that I glossed over the first time was creating Twelve Commandments. The author identified twelve commandments that she would try to live by--that would help her to live a happier life. Why did she do this? She explained, "I didn't want to look back, at the end of my life or after some great catastrophe, and think, 'How happy I used to be then, if only I'd realized it." You and me both, sister!

(Sidenote: Yes I took this picture!)
So.....I have come up with ten of my own personal commandments and I've printed these out and put them a few places that I'll see them every day. (I felt bad that I didn't have 12, but then I realized there is some precedent for 10 commandments, so I'm good!) I'm tossing around the idea of doing a blog on each of these....thoughts?
- My life is now.
- Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. (If it was good enough for Confucius...)
- I am enough.
- Why not?
- The people who care about me are always there for me.
- Don't miss any miracles.
- There are some things I just cannot fix.
- Pray every day.
- If I don't like it: change it or get over it.
- If I don't, who will?
Even if you don't do your own Happiness Project (which you should!), I would still recommend taking a little time to think about your own personal commandments. It's a simple exercise, but I think that it may change the way I try to look at things and situations!
6 comments:
It's so ironic that you're blogging about this because I was thinking about doing something very similar just yesterday! I agree it will make our days seem more worthwhile, and happy :) Love you, Tiff!
You and me both like this quote, "I didn't want to look back, at the end of my life or after some great catastrophe, and think, 'How happy I used to be then, if only I'd realized it."! We have the time to change to bring the happiness we want in our life! :-) I think that praying is a very neat one. I think it is so important to remember!
These are terrific. It's amazing how a statement can change your perspective on a day. Movie tonight! Woo hoo!
-College Roomie
Love these! Maybe you could split them up and do 2 blogs describing 5 each time or something similar.
love the commandments...and I think blogging about each would be an awesome idea! :)
Thanks for the comments, ladies! I think I will do a couple of blogs about the commandments....stay tuned! :)
Post a Comment