Friday, February 11, 2011

Family Farm Friday #41: Snow Day

"It's an industry that gives a huge boost to the state's economy, but it stays true to its roots by the sheer nature of the dedicated families who live, work and breathe farming and ranching." ~Susan Combs

Last week, it seemed like everyone in the world got a snow day besides me. Schools were closed. Courts were closed. Other law firms were closed. But I had to be in the office. But you know what? I wasn't the only one.....because you know who never gets a snow day? Farmers and ranchers.
I remember being a kid and sort of dreading snow days that cancelled school. For city kids, they meant a chance to sleep in, watch tv, maybe go sledding.....but for a farm kid, it was a different story. It meant doing chores and breaking ice and feeding cows and checking on ewes or cows that might be lambing. And when that was all over, it was time to start the evening chores all over again. Snow days were sometimes worse than school days.

The reason that agriculture doesn't get snow days is that the animals don't care if the weather is bad. They still need to eat. If it's time to calve or lamb, they lay down and have that baby, right there in the cold. And farmers and ranchers are right in the thick of things, making sure all goes smoothly.
At our house, we calve and lamb during the winter--December through March or so. That means that babies being born in the cold is a pretty common occurrance. Most of the time, we can keep everything on the right track by putting lambs in stalls with a heat lamp, or moving cows into the corrals where they can get up under the sheds.
But sometimes, they need a little extra help to get going. When that happens, we usually wind up with a calf or a lamb in the middle of the living room floor, wrapped in a blanket, laying on the heater vent, with someone running a blow dryer all over its cold little body. Once they get warmed up and going again, they go back out with their mama and they all live happily ever after.
(This would be Little Brother about 15 years ago!)

Last week at my house, it got so cold that my parents let the dogs inside.....which NEVER happens. I honestly think this was his first time in the house, so he was taking it all in!
So think about those farmers and ranchers who are outside in the cold taking care of their animals the next time you get to sleep in on a snow day. And think about those farmers and ranchers when you hear animal rights groups spouting off about how agriculture mistreats them. I think that I know a little hereford heifer (well, now a hereford cow) who might disagree with that.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Loving these farm photos!

Lyndse said...

We kept a little filly in our house for awhile, sit right in front of the fireplace. We had to get up every two hours or so and feed her through an iv. Her mom broke her leg and sadly we had to put her down, and she delivered the baby pre-maturely. She got so accustomed to us, that when she got older, she didn't think she was horse. I think she thought she was human...she would open our front door.

Farmers and Ranchers never get snow days or vacations, they are the real deal.

Anonymous said...

Great blog! One time we brought a newborn calf inside and Lisa, Mom, and I spent hours rubbing him with towels to try and get the blood circulating through the poor little guy. He wound up living the good life as a show steer and Lisa won grand at the county fair with him.

Farmers and ranchers have been working in the elements since the beginning of time. I'm proud to say those are the people I come from.

-College Roomie

Dani said...

Hey girl! I just found you blog and I think it's great! So I'm your newest follower/ blog friend (although, I'm not sure the definition of that last one)

Come on over and visit me if ya like! (or anyone can, really. Open party!)

fadingmarginsofdani.blogspot.com

Tiffany said...

Thanks so much for the comments, ladies! :)

JoJo said...

Tiff Love the stories and how US city kids really had no clue when we were caught complaining that we had to go shovel the sidewalk before going sledding, lol.

Growing up in the City I told you I always had the heart of a country girl. I would look for any opportunity to have animals around my life.

I remember one day walking into a local pet shore, I didn't need anything of course, just wanted to go and play and look at all the animals. I went back to the kennels and stumbled on an aweful sight. In this dark, dank 2x2 kennel was something I couldn't quite make out. So I asked the guy what was in there. "A baby chic, something is wrong with its leg ..., I don't think its going to make it."

So I asked him if I could take it I figured he wouldn't make it through the night in this kennel so at least I could try. The guy said sure.

when I got home I showed my Dad this poor little thing. There was clearly something wrong with this guys leg, it was deformed. We got some corn meal (being city folk, we really didn't know much about raising chickens!)and fed her with an eye dropper and kept her in a 20 gal. fish tank with a heat lamp.

My Dad said we should do some therapy for her and although chickens aren't known to do a lot of skinny dipping, that's exactly what she did! We set a warm bath for her and sure enough she could float. Around and around she swam in that tub every night for a few weeks.

She was a true survivor. As time went on that leg began to get better and better and the deformity was limited to one toe.

Turns out -- she was a he. But we had already named him "Hen Peck." She turned out to have no mercy on us and would peck us every change he got. We gave him to an inner city farm the City keeps in Queens where I grew up.

So that's believe it or not -- one of my chicken stories.

Tiffany said...

Thank you all so much for your comments and for sharing our animal stories! I loved reading each of them....seriously, Jo, the Hen Peck thing had me rolling!

And Dani--welcome! :)