Friday, February 18, 2011

Family Farm Friday #42: Farming Translates

“Basically we are all the same human beings with the same potential to be a good human being or a bad human being ... The important thing is to realize the positive side and try to increase that; realize the negative side and try to reduce. That's the way.” ~Dalai Lama

A while back on Nicole's blog, I read about her signing up to be a pen pal with a child in an orphanage in Bolivia. (Yes, I had to google it to see where it was....I'm like the dumb blonde girls on the Amazing Race, I know, I know.)
Anyway, she mentioned that there were other children in the orphanage who had not been matched up with a pen pal. So, being the bleeding heart that I am, I signed up right away because I just couldn't imagine some kiddo not getting letters while the other kids did! By the way, I love that we can use technology to love on kids half a world away!

So, I emailed the people in charge at the House of Dreams Orphanage and signed up to be a pen pal. A couple of weeks ago, I met my new little friend, Yamil.

Um yea....seriously....how adorable is this kid?? Word on the street is that he likes pulling practical jokes....cute and personality! Loving it!

Anyway, I sent him a letter right away. In so doing, I realized, I have no idea what to say to a kindergarten boy! I racked my brain and realized something important. Farming translates. Whether you are a 20 something girl in America or a 6 year old boy in Bolivia (or a guy in New Zealand), you like animals and at leat get the general concept of farming.
With this in mind, I wrote little Yamil a letter, told him about having a farm, and showed him these pictures of some of the animals.
I have to tell you that I absolutely love the fact that farming does more than feed clothe people. It does more than provide a living and a way of life for those of us involved in agriculture. Right here is a real life example of agriculture helping to bring to people from different worlds together. It translates across gender gaps, age gaps, language gaps.....it translates. Thank you, family farm!

Quick sidenote here: There are still a few kids at the House of Dreams that do not have pen pals....so if you are interested, you can comment and leave me your email and I'll get you the information. No farm animal ownership necessary!

No comments: