Well folks, we're going to change up the giveaway a little bit this month! As you might remember, I'm doing a Happiness Project. This month, I focused on money as the topic of my project. As part of that, I knew that I wanted to make a donation to a charity or some sort of worthwhile cause because I strongly believe in giving back. Anyway, I was inspired by Christin's blog post a while back, and knew this would be my way to accomplish my "make a donation" goal.
So....here's the scoop. You guys leave a comment below suggesting an organization that you think I should make the donation to. (If you have problems with the comment box, you can email me at tiffy83@hotmail.com or facebook me!) Feel free to suggest more than one. I'd love it if you'd explain why you chose the organization that you suggest so we can all learn a little more about you and your cause. 
Then, I'll pick one and write a big fat (I suppose that's relative....) check! So even though it's not technically giving anything away to my readers, it's giving something away to an organization that you support, so I figure that's a win/win, right?
Can't wait to hear your suggestions! And feel free to pass this blog link on to others, or to share it on your own blog...the more suggestions, the better!
You have until this Thursday at midnight to get your ideas in, and I'll announce the winner in my Happiness Project post next week!
9 comments:
I think the organization you should donate to is my Relay for Life team. Margar-Relayville...more specifically you need to donate to me. I have only raised 20.00. : ( Please and Thank you
BOKG
I think this is a great idea! I have a few that are close to my heart, so if I win, I promise I'll pick just one! But I need more time to think because my top few are Farm Aid, American Red Cross, Catholic Relief Services, Doctor's Without Borders, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America, and Homes for our Troops among a few others.
I think in honor of your generosity, I'm going to head over and make an extra donation to a few!
Ever since I attended a Wounded Warriors benefit last year, I am a huge fan. It is an amazing cause. This nonprofit, nonpartisan organization was founded by a group of veterans and friends who recognized the importance of helping the injured service men and women. I've got the federal ID number standing by for your donation. :)
-College Roomie
I'd definitely recommend Martha’s Table in Washington, D.C. They combat short term poverty with food banks and clothing programs, but also provide education and family strengthening programs to break the cycle of poverty. They're celebrating their 30th year of service this year, but with the economy still struggling, they're having trouble raising enough money to support their summer education programs.
if you want more information, they're on the web at marthastable.org
Okay as you know Hospitality House of Tulsa is very near and dear to my heart. So, if I win that would be the orginization of my choice to donate to. They are a local non profit organization that runs soley off of donations. They house family members of those in the hospital that do not have a place to go. They provide them an appartment and food for up to 2 weeks at a time. If you would rather donate physical items rather than a check that would be fantastic. Things like cleaning supplies, sheets, pillows, ect... Thank you for taking all of these organizations to heart and choosing one to donate to. This is the best giveaway thus far :)
~Loud Oklahoma Girl
I vote for something Agricultural or FFA. I think that there are a lot of worthwhile organizations that would gladly accept a donation. Either the NM FFA Foundation (contact State FFA Office) or the NM Jr Livestock Foundation. Both organizations are near and dear to my heart and provided me with scholarship opportunities to further my education.
You impress me with your genorosity!
I believe Helping Hands Hospice in Tucumcari would be a good choice. They help people in need in the entire surrounding area. Since we live in an area with limited medical care, sometimes Helping Hands Hospice means a terminally ill person gets to remain at home rather than having to go somewhere else. This hospice has helped people who you have known personally like Jean and Faye. They have helped people who have been family friends for years. In this town, many times when there are funerals or memorial services, the families of the deceased request that instead of flowers memorials be made to Helping Hands Hospice. It has made a big difference in the lives of local area people. I believe sometimes it is important that we donate to local causes who are not trapped in big administrative costs but use the money to help those in need.
Your Mom
What a generous and big-hearted idea for a giveaway. My instinct is to suggest The Innocence Project, as they work to exonerate wrongfully convicted inmates. Have you read Surviving Justice? It's a collection of first person narratives from folks who've been exonerated from prison--heartbreaking, but the Innocence Project does wonderful work.
Crossing my fingers! xo
Sara--I don't have a way to contact you, but if you'd email me at tiffy83@hotmail.com I'd love to chat with you about Martha's Table!
Post a Comment