I was talking to a friend of mine this week and she made the comment that she didn't have very many girl friends. This really got me thinking. My first instinct was to think "me too." I have always been better friends with boys. It's not that I didn't have girl friends growing up because I did, but as far as really good, hang out all the time, talk every day, trust them with your life kind of friends.....I had always trended toward boys.
Even now, I would probably say I have more guy friends. And the guy friends in my life are great. I mean seriously, I love them to death. They have awesome compliments for me, given me places to stay, managed not to kill me in a canoeing incident, taught me to give real hugs, always been there with awesome advice and ice cream when needed, use football analogies to help me understand life....you get the idea.
However, there are just some things girls are better for. BFF and Flintstone really do their best to help me with clothing issues, but do you think they actually know what they are talking about? No. I go to BFF and Cousin Kevin with guy drama.....and while I know they both love me, neither one has a sympathetic bone in his body. Nomad is awesome to talk about politics and religion and books with, but he doesn't know anything about hairstyles or nail polish. Brett-Brett and I talk most days, but he's so freaking random and crazy that having a serious conversation about something is probably next to impossible. You get the point.....these boys are great, but sometimes, a girl needs girls!
What I realized from her comment, is that I have been SO blessed to find my group of girl friends who have broken my trend. I now have these girls in my life who fall right into that category of really good friends. And as much as I love my boys, and I do, I know that I would be lost without my girls as well!
When you find the right girl friends, you will have people in your life who love you and who support you, who have your back no matter what, and who would give their right arm and first born to see you happy. If the girl doesn't fit in that category, don't waste your time. I've been lucky enough to find these girls in my life.
Girls who will always have a "If he doesn't like you, he must be gay." or a "Your ex's new (or old) girlfriend looks like a horse." in their back pocket.
Girls who you can analyze boys with for hours one end one day, and then call them up just to be reminded that said guys are still jerks, lest they seem nice and you forget. Girls who make any random situation the best time of your life and can make you laugh so hard your drink comes out of your nose.
Girls who understand you, even when you don't feel like you understand yourself.
Girls who inspire you with their lasting faith and amazing strength even in difficult times.
Girls who make you want to be a better person just because of their kind hearts and love toward other people.
Girls who motivate you to do things you never thought you would be able to by the amazing things that they do.
Girls who show you how to manage life and love and friendship and still have time to send you homeade gifts in the mail.
Girls who you can analyze boys with for hours one end one day, and then call them up just to be reminded that said guys are still jerks, lest they seem nice and you forget. Girls who make any random situation the best time of your life and can make you laugh so hard your drink comes out of your nose.
Girls who understand you, even when you don't feel like you understand yourself.
Girls who inspire you with their lasting faith and amazing strength even in difficult times.
Girls who make you want to be a better person just because of their kind hearts and love toward other people.
Girls who motivate you to do things you never thought you would be able to by the amazing things that they do.
Girls who show you how to manage life and love and friendship and still have time to send you homeade gifts in the mail.
It's hard to find them......sometimes it takes years to meet them. Sometimes, it takes years to realize that they have been there all along. And they may not be who you'd expect--sometimes, they will seem like your long lost twin, while other times, you'll be completely opposites. But I'm here to tell you, it's worth it. When you find them, you'll end up finding yourself.
So....today I'm thanking my girl friends. I love all of you so much and thank you for helping me find the person who I want to be. I would not be the person I am without each of you in my life.
8 comments:
Thank you for being my friend, traveled down the road and back again...your heart is true your a pal and a confidant.
I have no idea why I just sang to you the Golden Girls song...but it's the first thing that came to my head when I read your post. LOVE IT. LOVE YOU.
Very true! I didn't have my closest girlfriends until I got married and out of college. You tend to change friends with seasons of life anyways. :) Have a great day! xoxo
I love that BOKG sang the Golden Girls song to you in her comment.
I love the Golden Girls.
I love that you still love me even though I made you watch a lot of the Golden Girls over the years.
I love this post. You have amazing friends because you are an amazing friend.
Love you!
-College Roomie
Awww, such a sweet post and kind words for the ladies! And also love the Golden Girl song comment by Lyndse... awesome!
BOKG singing the Golden Girls song is priceless! Love it! I love that you are one of my besties for life! I love this blog and you!
~Loud Oklahoma Girl
Love you, Tiff!!!!!
Tears. Big ol' crocodile tears.
You are the one! You are THE girl among girls! You are the sweetest, most thoughtful precious friend! Thank you for this post:)
NDGirl
You are SO amazing Tiffany! I am beyond honored to be mentioned in this post and be part of the exclusive club. Love ya!
Post a Comment