Tuesday, November 20, 2012

It's All Fun and Games Until Something Explodes...

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried."  ~Unknown

The (only part I don't despise) best part about working late is my daily chats with the cleaning lady.  She's got to be 70 years old, 4'10 inches tall maybe, missing teeth, from Guatemala.  We've bonded. 

Anyway, last night we were talking about Thanksgiving and I asked if she was having turkey.  She said she didn't like turkey.  I said I didn't either and that we had Mexican food for Thanksgiving and that I liked the tamales the best.  Well, next thing I know this sweet little lady is telling me that she's bringing me homemade Guatemalan tamales tomorrow.  Um.....yes please!

And because my mama raised me with good southern manners, I asked her what I could bring her in exchange.  She said she liked pie.  Applie pie to be exact.  So I said, "You got it!" 

Now.... the one small issue is that I have no idea how to bake an apple pie.  As y'all know, I set off my smoke alarm once a week at a minimum when I try to cook.  So, I turned to Google and Facebook for some assistance.  Some people suggested I just buy one at a bakery.  Come on, now.  I said I'd bake a pie.  I have some pride in my cooking abilities here.  Some people talked about homeade crusts.  Yea.  Don't have THAT much pride.  Basically I was looking for something that required more than apples out of a can and less than a homemade crust.

Enter a little recipe from Pillsbury.  So off to the store I went to buy my materials.  Because I know me and I've done this kind of thing before, I actually bought enough to make two pies, you know, in case the first one didn't turn out.  For the record, instead of the roll out crust, I used the frozen kind already in the pan and I added butter because I feel like a good apple pie needs butter.  Paula Dean would approve.

Anyway, so I came home, turned on the Texas/Red Dirt Pandora station, put on my favorite fuzzy socks, and set to work.  It was all going right according to plan....

And then, there was a minor explosion.  This is the kind of thing that only happens to me.  So my mom told me to melt some butter to brush on the top of the pie crust.  So, because I always do what my mom tells me, I cut off some butter, unwrap it, put it in a ceramic dish, and pop it in the microwave.  I'm doing some other stuff when I hear this super loud popping sound.  I thought someone was shooting at me, so I hit the deck.  After I realize I'm not in some war zone, I look in the microwave just in time to see a chunk of my dish flying across the inside of the microwave.  WTH? 

Clearly it was time to update the facebook status.  "Everything was going so well with the apple pie baking until the minor explosion."  Not two seconds later, my mom is on the phone trying to act like this is all MY fault.  Some line about how you melt butter on the stove not in the microwave.  About 5 seconds after that, Aunt Delta Dawn calls to be sure I'm not seriously injured (note difference number one from my mom...she asks if I'm still in one piece).  I tell her what happened and she says that she heats butter up in the microwave all the time (difference number two, non-accusatory tone and statement).  She assures me that my mom is wrong and we are planning a family survey at Thanksgiving Dinner to confirm.

Anyway, long story short I no longer have my favorite ice cream dish and had to do some serious cleaning of the microwave.  But the pie ended up looking edible and I'm looking forward to my Guatemalan tamales tomorrow! 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooo funny! I'm saddened by the loss of your favorite ice cream dish though. At least that was the only casualty.

-College Roomie

Mandy said...

For what it's worth, I melt butter in the microwave all the time! It takes too long on the stove.

Anonymous said...

I also melt my butter in the microwave every time. Actually I have never melted it on the stove. I do melt mine in the plastic measuring cup dish though. Also, something my mom tought me with Apple pie is to slice small amounts of margarine and line the top of the apple pie with that and then right after you take your pie out of the oven wet your hands with water, dip them in sugar and pat the sugar on the top of your pie. It makes your pie look sparkly and pretty :) I love making apple pie it's so easy and yummy! Very proud of you it looks great!!

~LOKG

Anonymous said...

That looks great. Pies are surprisingly complicated. I've never had the courage to try to make one. I had enough trouble learning to bake a decent cake.

Nikki said...

I always melt butter in the microwave, but the pie looks delicious!!! Following back :)

Nicole said...

The pie looks great! I loooooove homemade tamales-probably one of my most favorite foods!

Unknown said...

I LOLed at work reading this! I do think I will make an apple pie now. You did good friend. Dust you shoulders off!
PS I didn't know there was another way to melt butter other than the microwave.

RobynBeazley said...

You absolutely crack me up Tiffany!!! Your final product looked fabulous. Excited to hear your review on the tamales ;) Happy Thanksgiving!

Renee Arianna said...

freaking love this story! And you are not the only one who has broken something using a microwave. This girl has too! :)

Anonymous said...

Would you be interested in exchanging links?


[url=http://cheapjordans2013.iblogger.org/]jordans outlet[/url]


[url=http://jordansoutletgc.inube.com/]cheap jordans[/url]