Monday, November 26, 2012

Our Ghost Story

"Every family is a ghost story. The dead sit at our tables long after they have gone." ~ Mitch Albom, For One More Day

My Uncle David had a cough this time a year ago. In less than a month, he would have been diagnosed with cancer and a week later, he would be gone.   Our last family event was Family Thanksgiving 2011.  It was also Uncle David's birthday.  We were together, with Uncle David right in the center of everything.  It all changed after that day.
This year, even in a room full of complete chaos--my mom and her sisters hystarically laughing, me yelling at the football game, the little cousins running around screaming like crazy people--there was a deafening silence.  It came from the absence of the man in the black hat, who was, for the first time ever, not sitting in the corner recliner. 

At dinner on Friday night, Uncle Black Belt introduced us to a military tradition of having an empty char at the table when a man was lost.  And so, there in the midle of the room, sat an empty chair and a black hat.  And Uncle David sat at our table, even though he was gone.

And that won't ever change.  That silence, the ghost story, the missing black hat, will always remain. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great blog Tiff!! He would have been happiest with the continued hysterical laughing (maybe a little grateful for no songs from the sisters) and screaming little cousins! It was the family happiness that made him happy under his grouchy act :)

Anonymous said...

sweet tribute Tiff! I know he is reading it and smiling! ConnieJ

Anonymous said...

I like the way the hat was placed in the chair for him. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

Love love love it. What a wonderful tribute.

-College Roomie

rkjalernpan said...

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Such a great way to remember! Your family is awesome and this is a wonderful post! :)

~LOKG

Rozann said...

God bless you all. What a beautiful tribute to such a great man. Love you, Tiff!!

Tony said...

I know I don't comment that often, but I read every one of your blogs. This is far and away one of my favorites. Everyone should be so lucky as to be remembered with such honor and dignity. I didn't know your Uncle David, but I can imagine just about anyone's reaction to such heartfelt homage. Good work.