Thursday, November 1, 2012

Me at 29

“The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.” ~ Madeleine L'Engle

[I feel the need to start this blog off on a completely unrelated note.  Eight years ago, I lost two dear friends and one of those friend's dad in two separate car accidents.  You've read before about Jeans and Rodeo Star.  And even though the years pass, these days are still hard.  So please say a little prayer for their families today.  And give a big hug to your friends, because you still can.]


When I wrote my "Me at 28" blog this time last year, I remember thinking that my next year wouldn't be able to measure up.  My 27th year had been pretty spectacular.  But life, as it often does, proved me wrong.




Because in my 28th year...

I learned to jump.  Be it off of tarzan swing platforms in a jungle, or out of my own comfort zone in life, or in by taking a chance and speaking my mind. 

I was reminded again of the importance of family.....that they are the people with whom you celebrate the good and mourn the unthinkable.

I saw Michael Phelps make history, Oklahoma State win the Fiesta Bowl, and three of my best friends get engaged.

I've learned to stand up for myself and to find causes that touch my heart and to laugh when things don't go according to plan.

I chest bumped a groomsman at a wedding.

I've baptized a baby and prayed in a Grotto and told inappropriate jokes during a Eulogy.

There's been screaming at football games and dancing in saloons.


I laughed until I snorted countless times and smiled for lots of wedding photos.

My heart has skipped beats, I've held my breath, and my debit card left $70 at the M&M Store.

I flew to Oklahoma when a shiny ring was bought, flew to El Paso when a four wheeler was wrecked, and flew to Chicago to see a river turn green.

I rushed the fieldTwice.  I ran through mud and for orphans and for chocolate and through colored powder and for memories of those lost.

I've embraced the quote, "Let no one ever again say that we dreamed too small."

In my 28th year, I became the person I am now.  I became me at 29, and I think that person is better than me at 28.  And although I still have the pang of regret that my 28th year is ending, and the slight dread that the next one may not measure up, I leave with the sincere hope that maybe, just maybe, the 29th will be better yet.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! 29 will be epic. Happy birthday!

-College Roomie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday sweet friend! 29 will be another epic year for you! I have seen your list of 30 things to do before you turn 30... It is going to be a crazy year my friend! I feel so blessed to have been apart of your 28th year and look forward to many more memories made together during your 29th year. Again Happy Birthday!

~LOKG

Stephen said...

It‘s your birthday? Awesome indeed. Happy birthday!

Jenn said...

Seriously?! Can we be friends??? You embrace life and you live it! I love that in anyone. Do not fear 29...or 30...or 31!! It's all in how you look at it. I'm 31 and still living and learning and enjoying new things daily!

Nicole said...

It's so amazing that you try to get the most out of life and stay positive, no matter what the circumstance. You are a great inspiration for the rest of us, to live each day to the fullest and enjoy every moment!

Emily said...

I absolutely love love love this post!!! You have a wonderful life and it's so great that you appreciate all of the things that you have done.

Linznoel said...

Love it! Happy 29th! I'm almost three months in and loving it :)
And LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of you and Eddie! I miss Sutton-era Cowboy basketball!

The Unlikely Runner said...

What a great post! I absolutely love this! Happy birthday! And with your attitude about life I'm sure there are many amazing things in store for you for 29. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had an eventful year. :)

I agree that family is important, although I believe that being family and being biologically related are two different things.

PinkLouLou said...

This post was so sweet :) loved it. Thank you for sending it to me!