Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Few Days at Home

“Things don’t have to be extraordinary to be beautiful. Even the ordinary can be beautiful.”  ~Wicker Park

This was the first time in a LONG time I had a weekend at home and nothing major to do.  Plus, Thursday and Friday I was off for Spring Break.  There were no bar exam flashcards to study, I was not spending the weekend flying back and forth to Amarillo, I was not rushing around trying to get to a presentation somewhere...I seriously didn't know what to do with myself!  It was a pretty laid back few of days and I really enjoyed that.

On Thursday I ran a bunch of errands and then headed to the office.  I was a speaker at a webinar for on agricultural leases.  My friend Cari and I spoke to over 60 attorneys about farm leases, grazing leases, hunting leases, and pipeline easements.  It was a lot of fun!  I spent the rest of the afternoon getting materials together and working on a schedule for the ag law class that I will be teaching in the fall at the Texas A&M Law School.  Seriously, professors put in a LOT of work to get a class together!

On Friday morning I took my pick up in to be serviced and then spent a couple more hours at the office catching up on stuff.  There was an article about my ag law blog that generated a lot of phone calls, so that was pretty fun.  Then my aunt and cousin were in town so I showed them all around Texas A&M and then we went out for yummy Italian food.  This was only after I nearly had a nervous breakdown upon finding out that one of my favorite restaurants here in town had been closed down due to asbestos.  I'm still in mourning over the loss of their rosemary chicken pasta.

On Saturday morning I got up and went for a run.  Even though it was early and not that hot, it was super humid and I swear I wanted to quit .25 miles in (I made myself keep going, but it was miserable.)  It's going to be a long 6 weeks getting ready for the half marathon!

Then I headed to Houston to go to a wedding shower for my cousin's fiance.  I'm honestly not much of a shower fan---I think they are awkward---but this one did contain great decorations and my fun family, so I'll give it a thumbs up.  And then there were seriously the most delicious cupcakes that I have ever tasted, courtesy to my Cousin Mim.  Can't beat that!

Me and my "little" cousins

Our family with the bride
After I got home from the shower, I took a little nap and then made a trip to Lowes where I spent entirely too much money on stuff for my garden and flower beds.  After that, I spent 3 hours cleaning out my garage. Oh, and I also replaced all the burned out light bulbs in the house.  I'm wild and crazy like that on Saturday night.

Sunday I got up early and worked in the yard--raking, pruning, cleaning out flower beds, planting.  I seriously made myself sore from all of this!  But it was a perfect way to spend a Sunday.
Front bed:  Hydrangias, Lavendar, Ivy (and random shrub already there)

Back bed:  Yellow Rose Bush, Dahlia, and Pink Jasmine.

These few days were a good reminder that sometimes it's good to just stay put, relax, and stop to smell (and plant!) the roses.  Of course, it's a good thing I got this reminder now because I am going to be out of town 17 of the next 30 days.  We'll see if my poor plants make it through!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Still sounds pretty busy for a "relaxing" weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your relaxing weekend! The flowers look great - as does the cleaned out garage.

"Hot, humid, mosquitos..." Don't say Uncle Tom didn't try to warn you.... :)

-College Roomie

Brianne said...

Love the flowers! Sounds like a pretty productive weekend!