Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pandora!

"You can take the girl out of the honkey tonk, but you can't take the honkey tonk out of the girl!" ~Brooks & Dunn

I miss Stillwater. For those of you who follow the blog, this is not breaking news. It is, after all, the happeist place one earth. I miss it for tons of reasons, not the least of which is that some of my best friends are still in Oklahoma and some of my best memories happened there. Another reason.....red dirt music. It's everywhere--concerts like Calf Fry, in the bars on the strip every weekend, on the radio, on everyone's ipods....
After three years living in the motherland of red dirt music, I am annoyed with mainstream country radio. Don't get me wrong, there are some songs and artists on mainstream radio I like just fine, but man, it's not red dirt! In Stillwater, there are several local stations the frequently play only red dirt. This is no surprise, as it is the happiest place on earth for a reason! I have missed that so much! I have a lot of this music on my ipod, but you get sick of the same songs over and over. Pandora is my answer!

Okay, it's totally possible that I've been living under a rock and that everyone else in America already knows about this....but I was excited! There is the best website, Pandora, that lets you put in an artist or a song you like....then it creates your own radio station! Just go to: http://www.pandora.com/.

So my first try, I enter Stoney LaRue. It creates for me my little "Stoney LaRue Radio" station. It starts off with him singing Oklahoma Breakdown, then I get tons of great songs after that by Cross Canadian, Randy Rogers Band, Casey Donahue, Cory Morrow, Roger Creger.....it was awesome! Day two has brought two additional stations....Old Crow Medicine Show and Ryan Bingham. So the day after discovering this genius invention, I had red dirt music playing (quietly, mind you) in my office all day, and I seriously had a great day! It's like automatic happy music! So, until I end up with my dream job at OSU and move back to Stillwater, the mecca of all good music, Pandora may be what keeps me sane!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry...because you are so right. First of all, yes you have been living under a rock...pandora is amazing!!

Second, listending to red dirt music makes my day better as well!!

Lyndse

Tiffany said...

Well thank you, bff, for letting me know about this! How had I not found out sooner??