Thursday, March 4, 2010

Throwback Thursday #15: On My Own

“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux

I've always heard people raving about traveling on their own, that it's really enjoyable and peaceful. I have been lucky to have great travel buddies, so I have never really done so. However, my last day in Rome, I went out and about myself. Cousin Whitney had already flown home the day before because she had to be back at work. Cousin Swiss Mister was being a typical male (i.e. pathetic) over a cold that he had. So, I got up early and ventured out on my own.

It was wonderful---it was early and cool and quiet and I just wondered the streets, seeing whatever I saw. For an obsessive planner, it was wonderful just to aimlessly walk around and see random parts of the city. Here are just a few pictures.

You will see that my obsession with old churches and nuns continued....
I came across this and had to take a picture---in several US cities, we have car shares, but in Rome, they have bike share!
I wondered into Piazza Navaro.....where a little market was going on.
Just walking up and down side streets and residential areas was a great way to get a taste of life in Rome.
These were the first people I saw out and about in the early morning....a running group hitting the pavement.

We are down to one final Throwback Thursday post about Europe......next week I'll summarize the trip and show you some of my favorite pictures I've been withholding! :) We'll see where Throwback Thursday goes from there----I may keep it, or I may ditch it. Thoughts??

No comments: