Okay, well maybe my blog has magic powers. Last week I wrote about how I loved Cinderella stories in the NCAA Tournament. This week, there were more Cinderella stories and upsets than I can ever remember. Maybe I should blog about winning millions of dollars and retiring rich.....just in case.
Anyway, here are a few of the best tournament moments so far.
Cinderellas: St. Mary's, Cornell, and Washington. All three of these teams are double digit seeds. But all three are going to the Sweet 16. my favorite story is about St. Mary's center, Omar Samhan. On Selection Sunday, Omar's mother bought her ticket to the tournament in Houston. What makes this great---Omar's team wouldn't play in Houston unless they made the Sweet 16. He warned his mom that she should probably come out to the first round games, just in case. She refused. Her ticket was booked to Houston. Luckily, now so is St. Mary's.The last 40 seconds of the Maryland/Michigan State game. You have to watch here. MSU is without their leader and star, Kalin Lucas who was injured earlier in the game. Maryland goes down and scores what you anticipate will be the game winning shot. But no....with 5 seconds left, MSU heads down the floor. Hughes passes to Lucious (almost hitting some other guy from their team in the head) and he hits the game winning three.
David slayed Goliath (although I was sad to see my bracket implode and a Big 12 team go down). Kansas should have been unstoppable. They won the Big 12 regular season and Big 12 tournament. These kids had experience. But somehow, Northern Iowa had their number. Brackets across America busted. In the words of my friend, Sara, "If Kansas doesn't pull their heads out, this country will be in crisis!" Crisis it was.
Buzzer-beaters. The first round there were three buzzer beater shots. First, Northern Iowa scores a three with only 4 seconds left to beat UNLV. Don't you know Kansas wishes that shot didn't fall! Next, Texas gets beat with 1.4 seconds left on the clock when Wake Forest hits the game winner. Finally, Murry State pulled the upset to beat Vanderbilt by one point who hit a jumper at the buzzer.I can't wait for next weekend! Now that my bracket is shot....come on underdogs (and Baylor for Cousin Swiss Mister!)
No comments:
Post a Comment