Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On Friday Too

"Lord let me praise you in the way you love best, by shining on those around me. Let me preach you without preaching, not by words, but by example." ~Mother Teresa

ND Friend recently gave me a cd of a speech given by Archbishop Timothy Dolan at a conference a couple of weeks ago. So, as I was preparing to drive across the state to the middle of nowhere for a hearing, I decided to pop it in and listen on the drive. (Note to self.....invest in some books on tape because that made the drive so much faster!) While I plan to do a blog about the speech itself in the near future, today I want to focus on one little line in the introduction.

One of the moderators for the conference was trying to kill time with the crowd because the Archbishop was running a little late. He sort of made the typical small talk, and then asked how many of the attendees had been there the day before, which was a Friday. Then he made a little joke and said, "Jesus is on Friday too!"
And just like that.....God whacked me upside the head with something I needed to hear. (He seems to whack me a lot....remember this? What about this? And this?). The time killing introduction was probably only put on the cd by accident, because it was automatically set to record at 10:00 or something. It had nothing to do with the speech, yet it was on the cd, and ND Friend thought to give me the cd, and I thought to put it in on my drive. Okay, God, I get that you must have really wanted me to hear this!

"Jesus is on Friday too."

Obviously I know that Jesus is 24/7/365. But KNOWING and ACTING are two different things. It's one thing to sit in church on Sunday and quite another to really focus on living our lives every minute of every day in light of this fact.

Think about it.....when the moron driver in front of you slams on his breaks and you start your morning two inches from a car crash.....or when someone makes a comment that you think is really stupid......or when you get in the slowest line at the grocery store (I mean EVERY time?!?)....or when someone in your life does something that really annoys you.....Jesus is then too.

Our attitude during these times should be no different than our additudes while we are sitting in the pew on Sunday. But it is, at least for me, so much easier said than done. My first reaction in these situations is usually NOT the reaction that I would have on Sunday.

And you know what? I'm so not okay with that. So, I'm going to make a conscious effort to change. I'm not expecting that this will happen over night. In fact, I know that it won't. When I end up in one of these situations, I am going to try and remember that Jesus is on Friday too. And, hopefully, every other day of the week will follow. Baby steps. :)

2 comments:

Lyndse said...

Love it!! Jesus is on Monday's too, I need to remember this when I dread Mondays. Great post today doll.

Anonymous said...

This is really great and aligns VERY well with something I've been focusing on lately: I have the ability to make every interaction a positive or negative experience. If every person-to-person encounter, phone conversation, email, etc. etc., is approached with patience and compassion, both I and the other person will be better off. Thanks for this! I needed to hear it.

-College Roomie