Thursday, March 3, 2011

How Quickly We Forget

“I’ve been to church I’ve read the book, I know he’s there but I don’t look near as often as I should…..” ~George Strait, I Saw God Today

I’ve been reading through the Old Testament recently, and came across the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt. Most of you are probably at least vaguely familiar with the story (remember the Charlton Heston movie?).

But in case you need a refresher, God performed countless miracles and acts that showed his power during the time leading up to the exodus from Egypt. He struck the Egyptians with plagues—locusts, disease, water turning to blood…..you get the idea. And then came the Passover, where the firstborn children of every household were killed, except for the Israelites, who were God’s people. And finally there was the parting of the Red Sea, to allow the Israelites to pass safely, but once they were on the other side, the part closed and the Egyptian army was swallowed.

Soon after that, the Israelites were wandering in the desert. They were hungry and grouchy and started to complain. They asked where God was and why Moses led them to the desert and seemed to completely forget all of the miracles that they had just witnessed firsthand.

As I was reading that, I got really angry and thought to myself, “What is wrong with these people, they just watched God perform all these miracles and they are doubting and questioning him?” And that’s when it hit me (you’ve read before about how God seems to whack me upside the head here and here and here)…..I do the exact freaking same thing!

How many times have I seen miracles (like last week with my friend's miracle pregnancy news and when I photographed the staircase above), or been thankful for my blessings, or felt God working in my life? And, just like those darn Israelites wandering in the desert, how often do I forget all of these things and jump right to complaining and questioning what God is doing? I’m just like them and should be angry at myself instead!

So, my goal is to stop being a darn wandering Israelite. Remember my personal commandments? This goal was in there as “don’t miss any miracles.” I am doing my best to focus on the miracles, even when I’m grouchy and tired and feel like I'm lost in the desert. They are everywhere…..I just have to open my eyes, and remember!

4 comments:

Lyndse said...

Great blog today my dear...way to make me wake up as well!!

Lyndse

Anonymous said...

This is terrific. Thanks for putting things into perspective.

-College Roomie

Becca said...

Tiff,

Awesome goal. I think that I too will take on this challenge.

Anonymous said...

Tiff! You are so great. Love this post! "A Wandering Israelite"? What a great way to describe this miracle-blindness:)

Good job. You have such a wonderful way of putting these things.

Love, Rozann