No, it's not me with the baby fever. Don't be crazy, now! Spring means baby time on the farm. I took about a million pictures and figured that I would share a few of the baby photos with you.
I'd love your comments on which (both animal species and specific photograph) are your favorites. I'm going to try and share a few production agriculture tidbits with you as well. If you have any questions about raising the animals, or agriculture in general, please feel free to ask away!
Welcome to spring time on the farm!
First off, we have the baby calves. We have about 80 cows, so there are lots of calves running around. For those of you who remember the classic post, Bull Semen and Bonding, none of the cows who were artifically inceminated have calved yet. They should start any day though. We're watching very closely!
The calves below are out of our own bulls. Here are two of them....Mark and Baracho.
The calves below are out of our own bulls. Here are two of them....Mark and Baracho.
Anyway, here are a few of my favorite baby calf shots.









Next, we have baby lambs. We have about 300 ewes, and we have about a 50% twin rate--if you do the math, that is a LOT of baby lambs! Occasionally we will have triplets---I'd guess maybe 4 or 5 sets a year. When the lambs are first born, we put the ewe and her lambs into a small cell so that we can keep a close watch on them to be sure the lambs are doing okay. Gradually they are moved into a bigger pen with several other ewes, and then outside with the rest of the herd.





Although we do not raise pigs, our neighbor has a few sows, so I snuck up to his house to get a few piglet shots. On average, a sow will have about 8-10 pigs per litter. The different colors of piglets indicate different breeds. The ones with black and white spots are called, creatively, Spots. The ones you see that are black with white belts are called Hampshires.




And, last but not least, is a photo that I didn't take and it involves a different kind of baby, Little Princess. Her mama caught this shot at a steer show last week. Seriously, could this little girl be any cuter??






Although we do not raise pigs, our neighbor has a few sows, so I snuck up to his house to get a few piglet shots. On average, a sow will have about 8-10 pigs per litter. The different colors of piglets indicate different breeds. The ones with black and white spots are called, creatively, Spots. The ones you see that are black with white belts are called Hampshires.



And, last but not least, is a photo that I didn't take and it involves a different kind of baby, Little Princess. Her mama caught this shot at a steer show last week. Seriously, could this little girl be any cuter??




5 comments:
Okay My favs are 1) Little Princess she is the most adorable little princess ever! 2) the pic of the solo red calf with the white and red face 3) lamb 85. Family Farm Friday's are still my fav and this in totally in the top 5 of those!
~Loud Oklahoma Girl
aawww! when i was growing up, i had a picture of a baby calf on my bedroom walls. it may or may not have been blown up to a gigantic size:) they are the cutest! you are so lucky to live in such an adorable place.
They are all great - but I love the one with the red cow, brown calf, and blue sky. It's composed beautifully and you captured the colors really well!
I'm so happy someone else loves photographing cows and farm life as much as me :) Great pics! Have a fabulous weekend! xoxo
Oooo I love the photos of the baby animals!! So cute!
Love your blog!
Post a Comment