Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Our Link

"God made friends so we’ll carry a part of His perfect love in all our hearts." ~Jill Wolf

I have a group of college girlfriends who are like sisters to me. The Oklahoma Girls, College Roomie and I are that group of awesome girl friends that you see on tv or in the movies and think to yourself, "Man, I wish I could have friends like that!"
Well, today I am going to tell you about our link; the person who was responsible for this fabulous foursome. And on my blog, we will call her Miss Pink Boots.

Miss Pink Boots was a girl from small town Oklahoma with blonde hair, a great smile, and this walk that just made you pay attention when she came into a room. You know those girls that EVERY guy is attracted to, and every girl kinda wants to hate, but just can't because she's so awesome? That, my friends, was Miss Pink Boots.
I first met her when I was in junior college in Kansas on a livestock judging scholarship. She was dating one of my teammates, and she came up to visit. Because I always tend to take on the role of the mom, I insisted that they needed a photo to capture their romantic weekend. (Everyone always complains, but you know what, they freaking like the pictures later!)
Anyway, a few months later, our judging team was on our way to Houston for a contest, and we stopped at some Super 8 motel in Oklahoma. Miss Pink Boots came to see her boyfriend, and brought a friend with her. You all know this friend as the Loud Oklahoma Girl. This was our first meeting. And it was awkward. Miss Pink Boots and her boyfriend went off to do whatever it is that young love birds do when they see each other, and Loud Oklahoma Girl got stuck in a room chatting with my judging team....including The Crazy Canadian. You can read all about this in a prior guest blog by the Loud Oklahoma Girl herself.

Anyway, a year later, we all ended up at Oklahoma State. The relationship between Miss Pink Boots and her boyfriend continued, so I continued my motherly duties of snapping pictures of impotant moments. Like this one, which I refer to is the prom, but was actually some sorority something or another.
Anyway, while Miss Pink Boots and Loud Oklahoma Girl were in that sorority, they met the Blonde Oklahoma Girl. And somehow over the next three years, we all sort of hung out at different times. Dinner at Miss Pink Boots' house, movie trips with her and the boyfriend (that may have ended in disaster...), classes together, and, of course, crazy nights at the Copper Penny.
Well, as happens with young love, Miss Pink Boots and her boyfriend broke up. But, lucky for all of us, our friendships remained. By now, we had all started to bond.

And our relationships would end up being important than theirs ever was. A couple years later, we got news that 20 something girls should never have to hear. Miss Pink Boots had brain cancer. She was tough--and she fought it for as long as she could. Then, three years ago today, Miss Pink Boots went to Heaven.

As I look back on my friendship with these these girls, I could not be more thankful for Miss Pink Boots. She was our link. She brought us together. And when she left, she knew that we still had each other.
It had to be a God thing that all of this worked out like it did. He must have known that the four of us would need each other and that we would be lost without these friendships. And He must have known that we'd need someone like Miss Pink Boots to bring us all together. I don't have pink boots, but today, I wore my pink heels to remember our link. (To read Blonde Oklahoma Girl's post today about our friend, click here.)

4 comments:

Lyndse said...

Thanks for making new cry like a baby this morning. She was our link, and I'm more and more thankful for this every day. You are my soul sister. Thank you for this post. Love you!!

BOKG

Lyndse said...

That was supposed to be me not new

Anonymous said...

What a way to start the day with a smile and a tear. I heart you girls more than anything! thank you for being friends that people envy over. Pink Boots defiantly looks down on us a smiles! She totally brought us together!
~Loud Oklahoma Girl

Anonymous said...

Not a day goes by that I don't think of the three of you and feel a copious amount of gratitude for our friendship. Miss Pink Boots will always be with us, as a link and as an inspiration of strength and beauty. Love you all!

-College Roomie