Thursday, March 17, 2011

Throwback Thursday #48: Lots of Bars and Churches (Wild and Crazy Spring Break Part II)

"She's a Saturday out on the town and a church girl on Sunday..." ~Brad Paisley, She's Everything

So after our DC adventure that you read about last week, we hopped on a train for a few hour ride to Williamsburg, Virginia. None of us had done any train travel before, so we were pretty excited.
That excitement quickly faded. First off, the train was loud. Like you could hear it click-clacking on the track. For hours. And this, children, was before iPods existed, so we just sat there listening. And then, because my life usually does work out this way, a really strange, sort of creepy guy came to sit next to us and chat. There is something about me on public transportation that screams "Please tell me your life story!" So we endured that for the next couple of hours.

But we finally arrived in Williamsburg and called the hotel shuttle to pick us up. It was seriously a beautiful city and it had the cutest little streets and train station! We chatted with some locals at the train station, and some people who frequently visited on the shuttle ride. They said that Williamsburg was a great town, very much a college scene, a lot of tourists, and one man told me that there were "lots of bars and churches." Sounded like my kind of place already!

So the next day, it was time for the whole purpose of our trip....my law school visit at William & Mary. If you're wondering, I have no idea how I decided to apply there......probably they sent me a letter and waived the application fee because I applied to all of the schools that did that! Regardless, I applied and was accepted with a great scholarship offer. I figured this place warranted a visit. So we met with the admissions people, took a tour, sat in on a class, and checked out the campus.
It was a beautiful campus. It is the second oldest university in the country, founded back in 1693 by....you guessed it....King William and Queen Mary. The only older university is Harvard, but William and Mary claims they would have been first, if it hadn't been for "an indian uprising." You can read more about that here. Anyway, my only complaint--their football field was a joke, seriously like a high school stadium. This Big 12 girl was NOT impressed!

After the tour was over, we headed to check out Colonial Williamsburg, which was a lot of fun! We checked out the colonial part of the city, we did some shopping at the adorable little shops downtown, and just enjoyed walking around the beautiful city!
Our two nights there, we decided that trying out couple of those bars that our friend in the shuttle had mentioned was probably in order. All in all, we had a great time.
As we left, we all bought William & Mary t-shirts, because I announced that I would be going to law school there! (For those of you who know that I actually went to UNM, suffice it to say I changed my mind about a month later!) Live and learn.

Stay tuned for next week......you will hear about one of the top three scariest moments of my life!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

So fun remembering when you were going through this! I hope you paid Amy and Whitney back for their t-shirts! haha!

Anonymous said...

Williamsburg is quaint and a wonderful desinitation, but I am certainly glad that you decided to go to UNM. :)

-College Roomie