As you guys know, last week I went to Tennessee for several days because Cousin Swiss Mister's dad passed away. His dad was named Rooster, but to me, he'll forever be Santa.
When I was a kid, Santa called my house every Christmas Eve. He would ask what I wanted for Christmas, ask what kind of snacks he would be getting that night, and tell me I had to go to bed early so he could come. Santa had this big, deep, booming voice, and a southern accent. In my little mind, the North Pole was like a cold version of Georgia or Alabama or Tennessee, becuase Santa was Southern.
Only later in life did I learn that for all those years, that southern Santa voice belonged to Rooster. When I was visiting Cousin Swiss Mister in Europe, we skyped with his dad one day. I told him afterwards that I really enjoyed it, because it seriously did feel like I was talking to Santa again.
It's funny the memories that surface when someone dies. People don't usually remember someone's job, or their bank accounts, or their fancy cars. They remember the things that matter. And sometimes, well maybe a lot of times, little things end up being big things in these situations. A phone call from Santa was a little thing then, but it seems bigger now. So take the time for the little things in your life now....the things that matter.....because some day, those will be the way that you live on.
3 comments:
I like the idea of a southern Santa.
BOKG
Sweet. It sounds like there are some really good memories.
-College Roomie
Love this idea! You uncle was good! This is such an amazing memory that you will always have.
~LOKG
Post a Comment