Friday, August 12, 2011

Family Farm Friday #62: Baby Bettys

"Birth is the sudden opening of a window, through which you look out upon a stupendous prospect. For what has happened? A miracle. You have exchanged nothing for the possibility of everything.” ~William MacNeile Dixon

Well now that the week of Girls Weekend recaps is over, we're back on track with our regularly scheduled programming. What better place to start than Family Farm Friday!

You guys remember The Bettys, right? My girls, Black Betty and Betty White?
Well...breaking news....we now have Baby Bettys!

That's right--both of my girls had girls (called heifers) of their own. Both Baby Bettys are perfectly healthy. It's always a little nerve-racking when you are calving out first calf heifers. In order to be sure that they are able to have the baby calf without any problems, we breed first calf heifers to bulls with lower birthweights than we breed our cows to. Fortunately, that worked out and both Baby Bettys were tiny little things who came with no problems.

Without further adieu, I give you the Baby Bettys!

Betty White had this beautiful red calf.
And Black Betty had this little gal. Black Betty didn't get a lot of milk, so we were worried at first, but the Baby Betty is doing just fine!
I'm so excited about the Baby Bettys that I am headed home this weekend to meet them for the first time. I'll be back next week with more pictures and more info!


Have a wonderful weekend! :)

3 comments:

Lyndse said...

I love your baby bettys, what are you naming them?

BOKG

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute, cute! Congrats, human mama, on the new babies!

-College Roomie

Unknown said...

SO cute-I love these and now I want one, too, lol! :) xoxo