Friday, June 24, 2011

Family Farm Friday #58: Dan and Jerry's

"For our family, farming is not just a business; it's a heritage rich with a history filled with treasured memories and great stories." ~Sine Kerr

While I was home for Memorial Day, Little Brother and I got to have sort of a flashback to our childhood. In doing so, I was reminded of yet another reason why I love having grown up on a family farm as much as I do.

We have always had great neighbors. You've read about the recent examples here and here. Back in the day, it was no different. Aunt Jean always had the best candy and snacks when we would go visit, and always invited us to pick peas in her field. Robert and Tressie always brought the best homeade bread at Christmas. Linda saved my brother during a violent turtle attack by burning that darn turtle with her cigarette. Ralph helped me with more science projects than I can count, and Faye was the genius behind Faye's weenies. But I would be lying if I didn't tell you that my favorite neighbors were Dan and Jerry.

Dan and Jerry grew up in our neighborhood when they were kids, and moved back during their summers off during college. Little Brother and I were little kids by this point---maybe like 3-7 years old or so. Dan and Jerry were crazy and funny and you never knew what they would do next. My parents used to periodically let them babysit (makes me wonder WHAT they were thinking) Little Brother and I. My Dad probably said it best when he said, "Just saying 'Dan and Jerry' sort of makes you laugh when you think about them."

Well over Memorial Day, we were reunited with Dan and Jerry, along with their wives and kiddos. They were all in town to go to the lake and were camping at the old farm house where they lived. So on Saturday night, it was like old days....Little Brother and I were hanging out at Dan and Jerry's.

We sat around an old lantern in the yard and talked and laughed at their stupid jokes about the north star and whatever else they came up with. We talked about funny memories of the crap they used to get away with. They told stories about how once my mom and dad got in a fight and dad showed up to their college bachelor pad and just said he needed a beer. We remembered driving down to check on them in a tornado warning once and them planning to chain themselves to the hay barn.

We talked about how the land where we all lived had been in our families for 3 and 4 generations. We remembered when houses were built and neighborhood picnics and how much we missed our grandparents, and each other's grandparents for that matter. We talked about history and memories and it became pretty clear how much these farms meant to all of us.

And I watched Dan and Jerry's kids get so excited when Little Brother said that we would come back for dinner the next night. And how they would run over to see what he had done all day as soon as he drove up. I realized that Little Brother had become those kids' Dan and Jerry. And the circle continues. (Note: I didn't get a picture, but Little Brother, Dan and Jerry were all three dressed like this....priceless!)
When I say "family farm" I guess I mean more than just my own family. I mean the neighbors who become like family too. It means passing stories and friendship and memories to the next generation. Chalk another one up to growing up on a farm, huh?

2 comments:

Laura Darling said...

This is such a great post...sounds like the farm is a great place with great people!

vintch said...

gosh, girl. a farm live like yours is one most people (including myself) only dream of. and how sweet to still be so close to your family, the ones who have made it a "family farm." you are so blessed!