Monday, January 27, 2014

A Panhandle Sunset

“There's a sunrise and a sunset every single day, and they're absolutely free. Don't miss so many of them.” ~Jo Walton

A lot of people don't care much for the panhandle of Texas or the plains of Eastern New Mexico. "I'm sorry" is a common response when I tell people that's where I grew up.  

It's dry.  Windy.  Dusty.  In the winter it snows a lot and I-40 inevitably shuts down.  In the summer the temperatures reach over 100 degrees. It's never green.  It's flat.  There are virtually no trees.

But.....there are the sunsets.  The ones that allow you to see for miles toward the horizon filled with pinks and reds and yellows and purples and oranges. 





Photo via Carrie Flanagan



 Oh, those sunsets make up for all of that other stuff.   And then some.  So for the people who tell me they're sorry that I grew up here?  I'm sorry you didn't.  You should be too.

3 comments:

Britt Fisk said...

Love every single thing about this post, and I'm glad you grew up here!

Brianne said...

I love the panhandle of TX! Those photos are gorgeous.

Brianne said...

I love the panhandle of TX! Those photos are gorgeous.