Friday, June 6, 2014

Family Farm Friday #90: Things We Forget

One of my favorite songs is Things We Forget by Mark Wills.

  

Here are a couple verses:

I forgot how much I loved that smell of dirt fresh off the plow, 
that tailgate rattle, tires on gravel, I sure do love that sound.
And I can't believe I spent so many years running from this.
It's slow and it's small and it's life at a crawl but it's everything I missed!

Where we come from, where we're goin', how to live right here in the moment.
How to love somebody let 'em love you back.
When to let go and cry, when to lighten up and laugh,
 slow it all down and take a long deep breath, man the things we forget.

There are lots of things about home that I never forget and always miss.  The smell of fresh cut alfalfa.  Seeing baby lambs everywhere.  Branding.  Cool mornings.  People that have known me my entire life.  Dogs swimming in the stock tank.  My mom's green chile enchilladas.  County Fairs.  Setting irrigation tubes.

But while I was back home for a few days last week, I realized that one of the things that I had forgotten was the sky.  It's just bigger and brighter at home than it is other places.  Here, in the crock pot that is Central Texas in the summer, it's hard to get a good look at the sky.  There are clouds and trees and hills that block the view.  But not at home.  There, you can see for miles.  And until I left and lived somewhere without this luxury, I didn't realize how much I loved it.





Not sure how I was able to forget something that beautiful, but now that I remember, it sure made it harder to leave!

1 comment:

Britt Fisk said...

Being away sure makes you love home more, doesn't it?! It's nice to always have it to come back to! Your pictures are beautiful!