Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Little House on the Prairie: Before

"A house on a piece of land....we'll plant some roots and apple trees..." -Kip Moore

You may remember that The Boy from Texas and I bought our first house together back at the end of January.  It was a little two bedroom white house on 8 acres with a white picket fence and lots of big trees.  When I say little, we're talking 900 square feet little.  Which seemed perfectly fine at the time.....and then came a couple of lines on a stick and all of a sudden, we realized we might need a bit more room.

So, we decided to do an addition to the house.  The Boy from Texas planned everything, I'm talking square footage, floor plans, how cabinets would go, shades of paint, colors of door knobs, you name it.  His grandma tells me that since he was a kid he's loved to read about and draw floor plans, so watching him get to plan out our first house and then seeing it come together has been lots of fun for me.

The contractors started work mid-April, about the time it started to rain in the Texas Panhandle and we recorded to wettest spring on record.  That made for some interesting (read:  frustrating) delays, but last week all of the major work was wrapped up. Hoping they finish a few minor items this week and then I never have to see them again.  (I'm kidding, they're great guys, but I am ready for them to be out of my house!)

So in light of all this, I thought I'd do a series of blog posts sharing how things looked before, during, and after the addition and several projects done by The Boy from Texas and me (if we're being real, mostly him).

So let's get this party started.  We'll kick things off with how everything looked when we got the keys in January.

Front view

Living room

Living room looking into the kitchen

Kitchen
Kitchen looking into living room

Master bedroom

Guest bedroom

Bathroom

Bathroom sink

 Stay tuned over the next couple of weeks to see how things look now!  It's really kind of unbelievable.

4 comments:

Katy Robertson said...

This is cruel. I want the after pics now. :)

Kylee Jean Smith said...

It's really nice and cute before... I'm anxious to see what yall did.

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

How exciting!! I bet you're so relieved that the work is nearly done done done. Excited to see all the afters!

Caitlin @ Candyfloss & Persie said...

holy wow! I love the story of a house becoming a home. I love the plot of land and its hardwood floors. Just great. I LOVE our downtown life but that certainly means we miss out on the joy of a home at this juncture.