Friday, January 29, 2016

Family Farm Friday #97: What FFA Gave Me

PETA is at it again. This time it's an article declaring FFA to be lame as {curse word I do not say}. And I wish it were true that no one listens to that organization and their lies, but it's not. And people do. So I felt compelled to respond.  I started out explaining how each of PETA's arguments were wrong.  But quickly I got angry and the blog was negative and although I'll publish it next week, I thought looking at the positives of the program first was pretty important.  So that's today.

FFA (and 4-H too just to be clear) has given me so much. Sure, everyone has been  sharing the usual since the article came out (which are all true and I have shared before here and here): Work ethic. Responsibility. How to manage finances. Animal care. Scholarships.

But there is so much more these programs have given me. So I made a little list of some of the things FFA gave me that might not be obvious.

A college diploma and a law degree.  I credit FFA with both my scholastic and monetary ability to get these degrees. I went to college with about $20,000 in the bank.  The vast majority of that was from raising animals and making the sales at stock shows. Sure, I worked all through college and most of law school and had scholarships as well, but that showing income allowed me two degrees and no student loan debt.  More than that, having participated in FFA contests like public speaking, FBM, and livestock judging prepared me for law school better than anything else I could have done.  I learned to analyze, see both sides, and think on my feet.  All of which came in very handy, particularly in law school come exam times.


My husband.  No, we did not meet in the programs. We met when I was 28 at an OSU football weekend.  But we were there because of a mutual friend. I knew said mutual friend through 4-H. My husband came along that weekend because the boys were looking at show calves on the way. Bam.  Thank you 4-H and FFA for the shiny diamond ring in this finger of mine.

My best friends. The easiest one here is BFF, who I met directly because of showing when I was 10 years old.  But through a long, windey explanation, I could connect my  meeting Blonde Oklahoma Girl, who was never in 4-H or FFA because of these programs.  Her friend dated my friend who I knew from judging and because of that I met Loud Oklahoma Girl and we bonded because of showing and through her I met Blond Oklahoma Girl. College Roomie and I got to know each other through 4-H.
State 4-H circa 2002.

My love of travel.  My family is not one of travelers.  Growing up, our vacations existed of trips to the NM mountains or to fairs.  But 4-H and FFA sent me off on adventures across the country.  From touring dairies in Wisconsin to chicken farms in Indiana to judging cattle in Kentucky and road tripping across the Mississippi River, I credit my love of travel, which has now taken me to 9 countries and over half the states, to 4-H and FFA trips.

My child's middle name.  BB is named after my ag teacher, who was much like a second father to me.  I have had some great teachers in my 20 years of schooling.  Never would it have crossed my mind to name my kid after any of them except for my ag teacher.  Those relationships between students and ag teachers are just special.


My wedding photographers.  All three of my wedding photographers are my friends because of FFA. Super Mom and I met because we competed against each other in FFA contests for years.  Homewtown Friend and I became friends from going on FFA trips together in high school.  Ag Teacher Friend and I showed against each other growing up.  These girls not only saved me a ton of money and took great photos, but they are some of my absolute favorite people.

A close family.  I'd like to think that no matter whether we had shown animals or not, my family would have been close.  But I think that the reality is, we would not have been as close as we are without that.  We spend hours every single night together at the barn working with animals.  We learned together, made mistakes together, fought with each other, celebrated wins together.  And honestly, today, not much has changed.  Just about every single day, I talk on the phone with my dad and brother about sheep.  The Boy from Texas has jumped in and he is studying up on rams and preparing to fly with my brother across the country to look at sheep.  My mom and I are frequently dealing with Facebook and marketing for our show lamb sales.  We've stayed all connected and in close contact because of the show program.

Family gathered up during the pig show.

A great network when I need help.  I'm here to tell you, I know someone everywhere.  I always know if I have car trouble, particularly in New Mexico, I'm covered.  Seriously, there is someone I can call in pretty much any county in the state.  When I needed rescued from a near plane crash, I called a showing friend.  When I needed a couch to crash on and a tour of the White  House in DC, it was an FFA friend who stepped in.  To this day when I have political questions, I talk to FFA friends who work for Congress. I'm here to tell you, once you're part of the FFA family, you're in for life.

White House tour with Super Mom 2006.

My job. Probably even more than most, my job is clearly from my experiences in 4-H and FFA. What I do now is basically public speaking contests, creed contests, and extemporaneous public speaking rolled into one and given a paycheck. For real, take away the national blue and corn gold jacket and the medals for winning, and my job is basically a big ol' public speaking contest. I have zero doubt without those experiences as a kid I would not have the career I do.

This list sure doesn't look lame to me.  Perhaps had the PETA folks been involved in these programs (or if the author was, as is claimed, had they actually understood the organization), or had talked to folks who had been involved, they might have been better informed. Those of us who do know better have to tell our stories.  Share the gifts FFA and 4-H gave you.  Because, sadly, most people in America don't know if we don't tell them.