I never buy name brand food. I realize this is an interesting introduction sentence for a blog about family farms, but stick with me here. It comes from my college days of penny pinching and I just haven't grown out of it, save a couple of exceptions (i.e. cereal and spaghetti sauce). However, after today's blog, I've added soup to my list!
Campbells has a program I just learned about from my childhood friend, Teacher Friend, called "Growing Your Soup." They partnered with the National FFA organization (which we already know I love!) to help promote agricultural education and to preserve America's farms. Campbells has committed a quarter of a million dollars to help support agriculture.The program took nominations of barns that needed restoration. For each vote received, up to 25,000, Campbells donated $1 to the FFA. These funds go to recruiting and training agricultural education teachers. Having had hands down the best ag teacher in America myself, I know how important these men and women can be to high school students.
In addition to supporting the FFA, Campbells restores barns, builds greenhouses and gardens. This year, they will be restoring 5 barns. This is the second year for the program, and the restoration of barns compelted last year was amazing.Every barn selected was located on a family farm. All of the families were FFA alums. One of these barns was built by the great grandfather of a 17 year old FFA member. She is a third generation FFA member. Another was owed by a third generation FFA alum who plans to pass the farm on to the next generation.
We talk all the time about how we need more support for agriculture. Campbells listened....and now it's our turn to support them! If we expect them to support our products and way of life, we better be ready to support theirs. So the next time you see me in the grocery store, you better believe there will be no more Great Value soup in my basket--only white and red cans for me!




No comments:
Post a Comment