As I mentioned yesterday, last weekend was a big one for my dad's side of the family. We all gathered in Caprock for the Dallas Ranch Centennial Celebration (for those of you who are confused, my grandma's maiden name was Dallas.....my dad's first name is also Dallas.....maybe that will help). Friday night was a dinner and a hayride for just immediate family (meaning children, grand children (ie my dad's generation) and great grand children (ie my generation) of C.E. and Mae Dallas, who settled the ranch 100 years ago). Lots more happened Saturday, but that's next week's blog.
The night started off with a little pow-wow in the front yard where my Great Uncle told stories (including the Love Tree story you read yesterday). Most of the stories centered around our family settling the ranch in 1910.


My great grandparents were from Texas, but in 1910 they set out in a covered wagon and headed for New Mexico. They ended up in Caprock, where they settled in an old dug out and opened a store. Life wasn't easy back then--the free grazing ranchers in the area were not happy about homesteaders moving in and fencing off their land. So these free grazers cut our fences and threatened my great grandfather and great uncles many times.
Things got so bad that my great grandma was scared for my great grandfather's life. One night he was supposed to go to a meeting in town between the free grazers and the settlers. My grandma let the team out just before the meeting and told him that she wasn't having him go off and get killed. (Needless to say, I come from a strong, stubborn line of women!) He didn't go anywhere that night.
We also apparently had some supportive family back in Texas. My great grandma's step father sent word by telegram that if the free grazers were giving our family too much hassle, he would send some boys over to "take care of them." (I picture a mafia-esque group threatening the ranching equivalent of cement shoes myself...).
Anyway, the moral of the story is that my family held their ground and stayed put. And as my cousin likes to point out, those free grazers are gone, and we're still there 100 years later!
During this time, we also got what I think is one of the best gifts I've ever received. Each of the grandchildren and great grandchildren got a piece of the actual covered wagon that my great grandparents drove to New Mexico. Needless to say, everyone was pretty excited. In fact, the next day, we all got our pieces of wood and branded them with our great grandparents brand.
After the story time, the whole family loaded up onto a trailer for a hayride down to "the old place" which is where the original dugout was built. We saw the remnants of the dugout, a fender from an old Ford Model-T, pieces of a pot belly stove, and old farm implements. 


After the hayride, we went back to the house for dinner, and the singing began. My immediate family has no musical talent, but luckily for us Great Uncle, his son and grandsons are quite musical. So there we were---the whole family---about 30 of us---gathered around the living room, singing and laughing. It was an amazing night--and I think when the whole family sung Amazing Grace while Great Uncle played it on the piano, there were tears in quite a few eyes.


The night ended with some dancing. We all figured that we needed to try it out before we invited the whole town to come the next day. I'm just saying, our family knows how to tear up the dance floor and we did our best to keep the party going well into the morning hours.
I think for all of us who were there last Friday night, it will be one we'll never forget. It was one of those times where you forget about everything else going on, your family is all together, and life just seems perfect. I think the great grandparents (and my Gran and great uncles who have already "gone to their reward") would be proud of their legacy that started 100 years ago. Our generation has big shoes to fill.





2 comments:
I love your blogs, but this is one of my favorites! You are my blogging hero...when I fall down on the job I just think about all you have documented and will be able to look back on and enjoy for years to come! I miss you friend, I would love to meet up with you if you're ever over this way. We don't live right next to the DQ in Vega anymore, but have settled in more comfortably in an old farmhouse between there and Hereford. It still needs quite a bit (a ton) of work, but this country girl is glad to be back in the country!
Thanks Micah! Glad you enjoyed it! Your blogs are always so good---I look forward to them! I tell you I never get to Texas anymore, but the next time I do I'm so coming by to see the new house!
Post a Comment