Monday, December 20, 2010

Ready to Run

"My body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn't stand the sideline." ~Michael Jordan

I've been in sort of an exercise rut lately. You know there are some times when you go to the gym or running outside and you just feel it? You can't wait to go, even while you are there isn't too bad, and afterwards you feel like you could probably run a marathon or leap a building? Yea.....those times have been nowhere in sight.

Instead, getting to the gym or going for a run has been a drag. I've only been going a couple of times a week, and while I'm there, I am bored. When I get home, I'm tired. I think they call this a slump.

The exception to my rut has been kickboxing. So, last Thursday I headed to our TurboKick Christmas class (which means we wore glowsticks and got cookies afterward....woo hoo!!)

Then about halfway through class, it happened. I went to do a "sumo burpie" (you go from standing and jump down into a plank position) and something in my lower back popped and I felt instant pain. I've never had back problems before, but it's not fun. It's hard to sleep and hard to sit at work and hard to walk up stairs.

Anyway, due to this ouchie, I had to take the weekend off from working out at all. And now that I can't.....guess what? ALL I want to do is go for a run. Or lift some weights. Or hit the elliptical machine. Seriously---I was craving exercise all day. Where had THAT been the last month??

Apparently all I needed to break out of my slump was to understand what it's like not to be able to exercise. It's a good reminder......I take things like the ability to hit up the gym for granted. I blogged before about being more grateful for having this ability. Maybe I didn't take it seriously enough. Lesson learned. I'm ready to run!

2 comments:

Jen Dutton said...

Tif! I am also in a rut, only mine has lasted much longer than 1 month. I used to be an athlete, I worked out at least 6 days a week....what happened? Maybe the pain I'm going to be in after snowboarding for 6 days will be my "ouchie" to get going?

PS. Those orange sweats look AMAZING!

Tiffany said...

Ugh, Jen.....I tell you, I feel your pain! I'm going skiing for 2 days and I figure that pain will be enough motivation, so your 6 days will for sure do it! Oh, and the sweats---seriously, best piece of clothing that I own. Hands down.