So yesterday you read about my rushing the field experience at Notre Dame. Well, in a minute, you're going to read the rest of the story. :) See, my family has been friends with the Hepburns for years. My grandma and mom set up Mr. and Mrs. Hepburn in high school. I used to babysit the little Hepburns when I was in high school. So when they asked me to go along with them as tour guide for Baby Hepburn to do a college visit to Notre Dame, well you know I was all in.
We kicked off the trip with a flying dash through DFW after a slight delay and even slighter lay over. There was some stress, but after a nice run to up our heart rates, we made the plane and arrived in Chicago. If you guys know me at all, you know good and well where the first stop on our tour was.....Bongo Room. That's right, folks, home of the infamous pretzel pancakes! We met up with Notre Dame Friend and stuffed our faces. And, because she's the sweetest person on the planet, ND Friend made us some of her world-famous cookies for the drive to South Bend. You know, to wash down the pretzel pancakes. We're kindrid spirits, me and her!
Next we did the actual campus tour led by a kid from NM that knows Hepburn's cousins. Small world, it is.
While on wondering around campus, we ran into this lovely dog. I'm usually not the kind of person who stops to see dogs, but this one was so cute. He shook my hand and everything. Then I asked his name. The answer? Rudy. Of course....what else would you name a dog in South Bend? Based on the picture below, I can now say I met Rudy on the Notre Dame campus.
| Meeting Rudy |
And then, it was time for all of the game day activities. We did it up right. Bag pipers playing in front of the Main Building. Trumpets playing under the dome. Eating burgers and steak sandwiches from student groups on campus.
I also took some time to snap some game day shots that I thought were touching, but are of kids who I don't know. I'm probably going to get arrested for this one day.
There was also some extra excitement because College Game Day was on campus! We got to see the crew (and I refrained from yelling mean things at Kirk Herbstreit) and the sight was great, right between the stadium and Touchdown Jesus.
During our tour on Friday, we learned about four different statues on campus that have been re-named by students with football related names. You know me, I love anything football related, so Baby Hepburn and I decided we should pose with each of the four to share with my blog friends.
| First Down Moses |
| Fair Catch Corby |
| The Holy Hand Off |
| Touchdown Jesus |
I said this two years ago when I came to my very first game, but game day at Notre Dame is something everyone should do. There really is nothing like it. I could not be more grateful to have had this experience (again!) with such amazing people. I am truly blessed. And Go Irish!










4 comments:
That was a great post! This is what I love about college football, whether it‘s a marquee name like Notre Dame or someone you‘ve never heard if (the Lower Bullamakanka Tech Lions?): it‘s football played from the heart, supported from the heart and loved from the heart. This post really managed to co vey that.
Sooo fun!! My parents got to go see a ND game, but it's definitely on my bucket list!! :) And a pretzel pancake?! That sounds RIGHT up my alley!!
Awesome trip! Thanks for taking pics of the pretzel pancakes :) What a fun experience to go do all of those things-sounds like one I might have to experience!
LOVE! Sounds like you had the time of your life :) GO IRISH!
~LOKG
Post a Comment