"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ~Marcel Proust
My friends are sneaky. They lie to me and plot behind my back and probably email each other laughing at how I haven't got a clue. And maybe I deserve that. I lied to College Roomie for one month and three days. I shocked a newly engaged Loud Oklahoma Girl and a pregnant SoulMate Friend (who thought the surprise might have been a stripper). And the poor Boy from Texas has been surprised by me a couple times showing up at his house unannounced (not that he's complained....) But they got me back with my birthday present this year. Here's how it went down.
My understanding is that College Roomie was the mastermind behind this little ploy. She got together with my best friends, The Boy from Texas, and my family to put it all together. They bought a Pandora charm bracelet. And then each of the people who mean the most to me purchased a charm for me. And the finished product was my birthday present.
There was a longhorn from Hometown Friend to represent our high school mascot. An airplane from ND Friend and Super Mom to remind me of my miracle at the Grotto. A suitcase from Uncle Buddy to remember our trip to Notre Dame. Four hearts from my parents to represent my family. A ship from Mrs. Arizona to commemorate our time spent riding the Skipper to Seattle. A trolley car from Gonzaga Friend who I met in San Francisco. There was a 4-H clover and a clown (I used to collect them as a kid) from Aunt Delta Dawn. A globe to represent my love of travel and a pink ribbon for the annual family Mud Run from Aunt Evil Kineval. A sunshine from Queso. A gift package (representing the gift of friendship) from College Roomie. A camera from my favorite travel partner, Cousin Whitney. A birthday cake and a cross from the Oklahoma Girls. Leaves called "autumn blessings" from SoulMate Friend to show all of the life changes our friendship has seen. Oh, and the shiny gift promised to me by The Boy from Texas? A charm with stars on it (representing Texas, of course) and diamonds in the center of each star.
I can't believe that they pulled this off. That no one bought the same charm. That no one slipped and told me. That my genius self didn't figure it out. It was the best birthday present I have ever gotten.
My bracelet--and my life--are full of wonderful memories with wonderful people. My cup (and wrist) runneth over.




7 comments:
Awesome present! You have some pretty great people in your life and I think its awesome that they collaborated to get you something you will never, ever forget! Not to mention have forever!
this is an amazing gift. How perfect. I kindof want to start one of these soon!
Yay! So glad you love it! I told College Roomie that you probably thought I was a jerk for not sending a gift on your actual bday. I hoped you wouldn't catch on!
It is beautiful.
Mom
You're gonna need a second bracelet. :)
-College Roomie
That is such a thoughtful & amazing gift. You are truly blessed by those who are in your life.
Amazing gift! My grandma bought each of my siblings and I one a couple years ago, and each birthday and Christmas she sends us a new charm. I always look forward to seeing what she picks out!
SOunds like you got spoiled for your birthday, which you absolutely deserve :)
Post a Comment