Looking back over past blogs, I realize that each year I have posted something about Advent. For those of you who may not observe, Advent is the period of time before Christmas in which Christians examine their lives, their hearts, their faith, in preparation to celebrate the birth of Christ--Christmas.
Each year it seems as though something that I hear or see or read during Advent speaks to me. Last year, it was the idea of Mary being open to God's will. This year, I have been reading a book (Flannery O'Connor's Prayer Journal) and an online Advent reading called Good News of Great Joy. But, as I think He often does, God spoke to me in an unexpected manner. Pinterest. Yep. You read that correctly. I may have other insights to share with you from the readings or from church homilies over the next 18 days, but for now, I shall share what I found on Pinterest.
When I read these words and asked myself whether there was sufficient room at my Inn, I felt a bit like I had been punched in the stomach. I'm full of excuses. My life is crazy, I travel a lot, I have to spend a lot of time on the phone (thank you long distance relationship), I have to go to kickboxing, I have meetings, some nights a girl just needs some down time, I have laundry to do, I need to wash my dishes, it's college football season, I need to update my planner, it's late and if I don't go to sleep in the next 6 minutes I'll only get 5 hours of sleep......I'm here to tell you, I could go on forever.
But you know, none of that matters. Not a single, little, tiny bit of that crap matters if there's no room in my inn for Jesus. I've got some serious changes to make, some major re-prioritization to do, and some major prayers to say to prepare for this Christmas.





4 comments:
excellent reminder Tiff. I need to make room too! All the rest is just small stuff that can take a backseat!
Our lesson at church yesterday was about Advent, and the pastor asked "Where does God live?" The answer? In US. And this goes right along with what you're saying...is there room at your inn for Jesus? Love it :)
Great message! Such a good thing to keep in mind through the season that is about Him which we somehow turn into stressful and about us.
-College Roomie
LOVE this. what a convicting thought I will be thinking all week-- is there room?
My problem is filling my time with good things and leaving out the best thing, enjoying Gods blessings and not enough time spent enjoying Him. It's not as if I am filling my time with drugs, crime, etc but good things can distract us from Christ just as much, especially at Christmas!
I use the same advent reader you do, we read it every morning!
Merry Christmas and Happy Advent sweet friend!
Post a Comment