Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Gran's Peach Cobbler Recipe

Last weekend, The Boy from Texas and I were at my parents' house for the weekend and I decided to whip my dad up a peach cobbler using Gran's recipe.  Is there anything in the world better than a recipe on an index card in your grandma's handwriting?  I think not. 



So I followed her directions and had to make some guesses due to the fact that she didn't include everything on the card.  Apparently she thought that future generations would know what temperature and how long to cook something without her telling them.  God bless her, she didn't anticipate me being the future generation!

But in the end it all worked out pretty well and we dined on this as the finished product.  I think that Gran would have been proud!

Gran's Peach Cobbler Recipe

1C sugar
1C flour
1 T baking powder
Salt  (How much?  Gran didn't tell us...I just shook a bit in my hand and called it good.)
3/4 C milk

Sift dry ingredients and stir in milk to make the dough mixture.

1/2 stick butter

In a casserole dish or pan (I used a glass 9x9 dish), put in the butter and melt.  Pour dough mixture in dish on top of melted butter. 

Peaches (I used a bag of frozen peaches and supplemented with two real peaches sliced up.  You can also use one large can of peach pie filling, but the frozen and/or real are better!)
1T flour
3/4C sugar
1/4 C brown sugar

 Mix the 1T flour and 3/4C sugar with the fruit.  Pour fruit mixture on top of the dough in the dish.  Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the fruit mixture.

Bake.  No one knows how long or at what temperature.  Just go until the crust is golden brown and no longer doughy.  I felt like it took a long time.....maybe 30 minutes?  I baked it on 350 because that's the oven default so I was hoping that meant something.  Who knows.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Brianne said...

I have been craving Peach Cobbler & this seals the deal...I'm making some next week.