Thursday, February 26, 2015

Happy FFA Week!

Happy FFA Week!  All week on Facebook, I've really enjoyed seeing posts from other former FFA members talking about what the organization meant to them.  From old pictures with ag teachers to blog posts about how FFA helps prepare members for nursing careers, to collages of favorite memories....it's really been fun to see!

I was struck not only by the number of my friends who were involved in FFA (not surprising given where I went to school, my major in college, my current job), but the variety of things we are doing now.  Some are home on the farm raising food and fiber to feed and clothe America.  Some are in big cities,  one even has  her own law office on Wall Street.  Some are in small towns teaching elementary school, working in industry, protecting the community.  And some have chosen to carry on the FFA tradition by becoming ag teachers themselves.

These stories prove that FFA didn't just prepare us for our futures in agriculture, but for our futures, period.

To celebrate that, I wanted to share some of my favorite FFA moments.

Stock shows with the family.

County fairs with the family.
State Fair with friends.
This was us in college, but I met some of my best friends in FFA.
Winning State FFA Livestock Judging
FFA Camp
Winning State Star Farmer
Winning a class at Roswell with Walter.

Sorting ewes for breeding.

Winning Grand and Reserve at the County Fair
Winning High Individual in Reasons & Reserve National Champions at National FFA Dairy

National FFA Livestock, complete with food poisoning experience.

Calving season

Little Brother winning the pig show at the County Fair.

Reserve National Champions in Poultry

"Crunch time" at the barn.

Little Brother winning the sheep show.

Dad's lucky shirt.
State Fair sheep show day.

Winning County Fair 3rd time in a row

Roswell pig show with Mr. Franklin

Winning Champion Cross NMSF

Winning a class with a lamb we raised.

Feeding time at State Fair.

 And lastly, I will share what I previously shared on Facebook.  If The Baby from Texas turns out to be a boy, his middle name will honor my own FFA advisor, Mr. Franklin, who was so much more than a teacher to so many of us.



Happy FFA Week to all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. Franklin was an amazing man. Franklin will be a great name for the baby :)

Brianne said...

Love this. I love how much FFA meant to you & that if you have a boy you'll be honoring Mr. Franklin. He sounds like a great man every time you talk about him.

Amy @ A Desert Girl said...

Such a wonderful organization - you shared so well what it means to you and how invaluable it was in preparing members for LIFE. <3

-College Roomie

Holly said...

I love this! I think there's something to be said for growing up in that atmosphere, whether it's FFA, 4-H, horse showing, livestock showing, etc. Does a heart and soul good.