Last week, BB managed to sneak a large piece of tape into his mouth and choke on it. I have no idea how it happened. The Boy from Texas and I were both in the room watching him, yet somehow, he pulled it off. It was extracted after a lot of gagging and prying and tears from more than one party involved.
So when I watched another mother get absolutely trashed in the news and on social media when her child snuck into the gorilla enclosure, the first thing I felt was sympathy.
Because kids are freakin' hard. You have to watch those little people all the time and, sometimes, they still manage to do dangerous things. This fact does not make you a bad parent. It does not make him a bad child. Bad, scary, crazy things happen to curious little kids. Even those with really good parents. You sign up for that when you sign the birth certificate. We all do. Good luck and Godspeed. Becuase you'll need it.
Sure, your kid might not ever wind up sneaking into a cage with a wild animal. But I'll guarantee you that your kid is going to do something dangerous that you'd never expect. Something that happens when you turn your head for two seconds that will scare the crap out of you. If you have kids, it has probably happened in the last 24 hours. If you don't have kids and think this will never happen to you, get ready, sister. You're in for a wild ride.
Before you are quick to condem another mother, let's give a quick thought to Jesus' advice about casting stones. Because I'll guarantee you, He'd have something much different to say to that poor mama.
So, go ahead and cast away your stones at this woman. I'll be over here hoping my kid doesn't find something else to choke on tonight. No stones coming from this mama, I'll promise you that.





1 comment:
*standing ovation*
I agree completely...I've felt so much sympathy for that poor Mama. My Gracie once jumped headfirst out of a fire engine. (Long story about a preschool fire engine tour, she was fine.) But point is, it could have been disastrous and her highly attentive preschool teachers and RESCUE WORKERS were right there, watching her every move. And it still happened. It's so ludicrous to think that a Mama can watch every single thing her kid does...I mean, I don't know about other Moms, but I have to do things like blink and pee. ;)
Post a Comment