Follow by Email

Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Spirit?

"Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~Plato

So, I love the Christmas season. I love the family togetherness, the food, the decorations, and, of course, the celebration of the birth of Jesus. I do not love shopping. I know, I know, I'm a girl and based on my mother, that should be genetic. Well, it's not. I like to know what I'm getting, go directly into the store, get it and leave. This is apprently impossible around the holidays.

So, let me give you a snipit of my day today. I have a gift certificate to Famous Footwear that I won on the radio in a call in thing. I was super excited, had never won anything like that before, so in I go. I find some great running shoes in my size (not an easy task mind you) and go to check out. Then the evil spirit hit.

Now, I try to be a nice person. Really, I do. I hardly ever get snippy with waiters or clerks or salespeople or anything like that. Honestly, I figure that people have hard enough lives without me making them worse. Apparently, most people don't follow this approach. Yes, we were standing in line forever. Yes, they only had one register. And yes, I think that the lady working there might have been totally crazy. But is there really a need to be rude and bash on her in front of everyone? No. Is that the Christmas spirit? No.

Anyway, so my gift card wouldn't read because they had some computer problem. So after being there for 45 minutes, I finally leave with no shoes. (Sidenote because I was so nice, she called me when the computer was fixed and gave me $10 more dollars off. See? It pays!)
It was time to go to Wal-Mart. Now, I don't really like that place on a normal today, but today, it was complete chaos. People yelling at each other in the parking lot, screaming kids, etc. Again, no Christmas spirit in sight.

Well, I get in line and there is this great moment. A little kid was there with his dad and saw a donation bin full of toys. He asked what that was. His dad explained that some kids don't get any toys for Christmas those of us who are lucky enough to have toys give to those who are not, like Jesus gave us life in Heaven. Then they went off to pick out a toy to donate. Now there was the Christmas spirit I had been looking for! What a great moment.....

Then some guy in one of the little electric wheelchairs they provide you with was fighting with his wife, not paying attention and went crashing into my legs. Yea. Moment over.

Anyway, when you're out running around this Christmas, try to remember to have the Christmas spirit. You have the power to brighten or ruin someone's day. Use it wisely. And watch where you're going in the little scooters!

No comments: